HanKami

Mentalism
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Painting the back of the tank
FlatBlack.jpg

Sealed and painted stand, Also joined the stand to the wall. And with some blind mucky aquascaping it starting to look like a tank lol
FillHerUp.jpg

DirtyAquascaping.jpg

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
What size tank is that? like a 40g?

The stand will hold the tank full of water UP but it won't support it enough laterally over time. You should listen to what everyone is saying and add some type of support to your tank. One good bump from the side or any wave motion over time will weaken the ply enough to break or losen where its screwed together. Its not worth your time cleaning up and dealing with the damage if it does break especially since all you need to do is screw in from the back two vertical pieces of my to the top bottom and sides. You should have scraps and extra screws.

Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
What size tank is that? like a 40g?

The stand will hold the tank full of water UP but it won't support it enough laterally over time. You should listen to what everyone is saying and add some type of support to your tank. One good bump from the side or any wave motion over time will weaken the ply enough to break or losen where its screwed together. Its not worth your time cleaning up and dealing with the damage if it does break especially since all you need to do is screw in from the back two vertical pieces of my to the top bottom and sides. You should have scraps and extra screws.

Also, the MDF/flakeboard they use in store bought stands is always supported laterally. There is zero pressure on any of the sides from the face of the board and all pressure is on the lengths of the flake/mdf. Its quite strong when put under pressure through the material. I wouldn't buy a stand or make one out of flake or MDF for myself but it meets the low standards of support for a tank its built for.

Using MDF as a reference to justify his mistakes in the build of the stand is bad advice Richie. Materials don't make a strong stand, its know how and craftsmanship. I can build you a beautiful cardboard box stand for a 200g tank that would hold up better than anything you could make out of wood.

Not sure if you read what I said right, I said most store bought stands are MDF, then I suggested that if he stains or paints his stand.
I do not post unless I know what I'm talking about.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Obviously I haven't seen the stand in person, but I'm still concerned about the lateral stability. It looks like if someone were to (accidentally) lean on the side of the tank the stand might give way.

:scratch:
Nyeyce ...post #22 said:
Also joined the stand to the wall.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
He said his tank was "dimensions of Tank 30"x30"x19", even if he added 1/2" on both sides of the stand that would only be 31". I know that standard 2x4 roughing in a wall is 16" on center, if he only caught 1 stud, and drilled a 3" screw into I I don't think that would be sufficient. Unless he cross braces between studs, then it's a different ball game.

straightjiggy10

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.2%
235   2   0
Ok lets stop beating the dead horse, if he didn't get the picture and change it thats his choice. If he did that's great too, lets move on and appreciate the thread or leave....

Lets see some updated pictures cory

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Ok lets stop beating the dead horse, if he didn't get the picture and change it thats his choice. If he did that's great too, lets move on and appreciate the thread or leave....

Lets see some updated pictures cory
That's always fine until there's another thread about a stand collapse. Unless I am mistaken, every thread is an invitation for comment - including constructive criticism. Very kind of you to suggest leaving though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: