WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
So i tore my first tank down and bought a new tank from a fellow reefer on here, its a 110 gallon reef ready oceanic tank. I learned from my 1st build and decided to start from scratch and not make the same mistakes. This is where i'm at so far. I decided to go with a deep sand bed, about 4", i'm now just waiting for the cloudiness to settle so i can start adding the rocks. Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
457a4742-6434-4410.jpg

457a4742-6449-04b7.jpg

457a4742-645c-0fca.jpg

This the the sump from my first setup, I plan on doing it the same
457a4742-648e-6416.jpg

Last edited:

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Long as you learn from those mistakes it's all good. Good luck with the new tank looks like you're off to a good start! :goldfish:

+1
This is soooooooooooooo true!
Patience, no short cuts, and you guys will be good :)
Take it from me where I learned so much here. and yet tried lots of short cuts.just to have it bite me in the A$$.

I'm Nemo's mother!

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
My first tank was a 110. That was one of my favorites since it was extra high, only mistake for me was not using metal halides and going with T5'a across the entire tank. but if you just keeping softies your good to go.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Wil, love the rock work, but I am a little concerned. Are the rocks up against the glass? If so, what are your plans for cleaning the glass?

Best wishes with your new setup......

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
Hi Wil, love the rock work, but I am a little concerned. Are the rocks up against the glass? If so, what are your plans for cleaning the glass?

Best wishes with your new setup......

thanx. They're kinda layered so the bottom is closer to the front of the tank and gradually goes back, the highest point is leaning on the glass, i was just trying to get some "shelving" going on to have places to place corals, do u have any suggestions as to how i should place the rocks? any suggestion or ideas would be highly appreciated, and i'm not really an island kinda guy lol

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
+1 good point Awilda made!
My suggestion place your rock in the middle of your tank, that way you have space in the back and side to give you room to clean your glass, also where you can put a powerhead to take care of the dead spots. In the event a coral falls behind the rocks it be alot easier to get to it. Too much rock your limiting the space for your fish. There's a few members here with amazing rock work, take a look at there gallery just to get an idea, and make your "unique look"! Do it now, before your tank is fully cycle, and before you have corals & fish. That way you can avoid more work later on, and to keep your hands out of your tank as much as possible. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
+1 good point Awilda made!
My suggestion place your rock in the middle of your tank, that way you have space in the back and side to give you room to clean your glass, also where you can put a powerhead to take care of the dead spots. In the event a coral falls behind the rocks it be alot easier to get to it. Too much rock your limiting the space for your fish. There's a few members here with amazing rock work, take a look at there gallery just to get an idea, and make your "unique looking"! Do it now, before your tank is fully cycle, and before you have corals & fish. That way you can avoid more work later on, and to keep your hands out of your tank as much as possible. Keep up the good work!

I moved some rocks around, I'll post a pic, I have a power head on the back glass now and 2 on the sides, the returns also create some flow behind the rocks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: