cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I just began setting up a new 120g custom built acrylic reef tank as part of moving to a new apartment. I figured I chronical the process from day one in this thread.

Day 1
Getting ready to be shipped from the builder.

lynn1.jpg

Plumbing for the sump built into the stand. Dry side on the right, wet side on the left:

lynn2.jpg

Last edited:

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Thank you for the info.
Do you think the over flow from the skimmer would get sucked into the return lines? and cause micro bubbles to go into the dt.

I'm not sure. I'm running an Elos skimmer on the tank holding the critters until the new tank is ready and not noticed bubbles there. It's the only one I have the right pump for, but I may put it in the new tank just for the weekend to see if I can get the water to clear more quickly.

TheHun

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.2%
75   3   0
Nice setup! I just noticed the return line tees installed incorrectly, you should change that tees to vertical instead of horizontal like now. That should start to give you less back-pressure on the pump.
How loud is your pump? I have same, about 3 weeks old, and is very loud compare to my old eheim 1260.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Day 7
Still really, really cloudy. Changed the filter sock, added another 8 oz. of floculent and replaced the durso that came with the tank with a GEO Aqua Silencer to quite the drain. I also hooked up a H.O.T. Magnum filter with a micron cartridge in the hope it will finally speed clearing up the water.

tank111211.jpg

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Nice setup! I just noticed the return line tees installed incorrectly, you should change that tees to vertical instead of horizontal like now. That should start to give you less back-pressure on the pump.
How loud is your pump? I have same, about 3 weeks old, and is very loud compare to my old eheim 1260.

Yeah, ordered the PVC fittings this week to fix the returns. I'm going to replace the tee with a wye fitting to smooth out the return flow and further quiet the sound of water.

The water blaster pumps aren't really all that loud for me. I got some air in one of them today and that made it a little noisy, but that usually resolves once it clears from the line.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Robin, what type of sand did you use? Also, did you rinse it prior to putting it in the tank? I can't seem to rap my brain around the cloudiness issue you are having.:(

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if you had washed your sand also. And, is a pump, powerhead, etc. disturbing the sand and could that be what is keeping the sand cloud going? Try to shut the pumps off for a few hours and see how much it settles down.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I used 160 lbs of Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand and 80 lbs of Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. I didn't rinse either because because 3/4 of it was live sand and there was no way could make enough salt water to rinse it and not kill the bacteria.

I've been doing some reading on the Ocean Direct product and found several complaints about the kind of problem I'm having, but no solutions.

I'm not running a skimmer on it right now, the sump is rather shallow and I need to modify the door opening so I can run more water in there. It will involve adding a few extra pieces of acrylic to the inside of the sump door and it will be at least 48 hours before the glue is dry enough to let the sump fill. Even then I'm not sure it's going to solve my problem.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
OK. So, I went to home depot and got an R/O canister with 1/2" fittings. Tonight I'll put in a micron cartridge, hook it up to a MaxiJet and see what happens.

Just can't bring myself to drop a few hundred $$ to buy diatom filter to use just this one time.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: