Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
Well it's about time Tony!

Colored sticks again, mixed reef or softies?

Tank - 47-60 gallon cube tank - marineland RR tank or oceanic - I have the 45g Marineland cube, love the dimensions and low height. Aquascaping...tends to look like a volcano unless you go with a 'C' shaped island. The 60G cube leaves more room up top to make the same sort of aquascaping but then it ends up looking like a 'C' shaped rock wall due to the height...imo Tougher to light that amount of depth evenly

skimmer - unknown - ask Rick, he has owned EVERY skimmer ever build ..lol

lighting - leds (ive been seeing the AI lighting being a good choice) Many threads on LED's, many opinions. You want one with dimmer capabilities near as I can figure (I still run MH's on 1 tank & T5's on my others, not ready to make the jump till the prices comes down)

return pump - eheim ? Always an excellent choice.
heater - unknown - as mentioned use 2 at half the power
water flow - 1 vortech with controller - Yep
controller - ? (if i get a controller can it control the vortech instead of
using the vortech controller) Use the controller for the lighting, heaters, probe. The Vortech should run off it's own controller.
dosing - im planning on doing it manually until corals take off then i will get a doser. Good plan
sump - plan on building my own from a 10 gallon or 20 gallon tall tank - easy enough, you know how
Sand - unknown (if i go with sand something really white). While I love all of the ESV products , I am still a fan of the regular old aragonite beige 'special' sized sand, looks like the floor of the ocean. The ESV reminds me of snow..and does get dirty, and then looks like dirty snow
liverock - will worry about it when the time comes
stand and canopy - will build myself - looking forward to this
reactors - one for carbon and one for phosban. Can go with the two little fishies and daisy chain them together and run off a MJ1200, or the BRS dual reactors. Run the water through the carbon one first but adjust the flow so the GFO reactor is operating at the correct flow
ATO - unknown. Many good ones to chose from.

Great to have you back !

Try and make it to the swap!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (140)
Send a Private Message
Tony, welcome home young man!!!!!

Do not get the ESV sand!! I have it, and can't wait to dump it. I have never hated a sand before the ESV. It gets so ugly, and looks so unnatural....
What ever heater you get please make sure to run them off of a controller, and still inspect them ever so often. I've had 2 different brands explode in my sumps, and 1 got stuck on "On". One electrocuted my fish, and the other darn near electrocuted me. BTW the two that exploded were on controllers.

Congratulations on the up coming nuptials, and the home purchase!
Best wishes with your new life, as well as the build.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (36 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Newbiee 4 Ever
Reefer Ratings: (54 (100%)
Friends: (165)
Send a Private Message
First off welcome back, I have read all your old tank threads. and all I can say is I hope this one turns out like them.
Tank - 47-60 gallon cube tank - marineland RR tank or oceanic
skimmer - Rick would be able to give you a better idea on this one
lighting - my choice is AI sol blues, I will be upgrading to these as well
return pump - if you have the extra cash, red dragon
heater - eheim, 2 pieces for redundancy
water flow - 1 vortech with controller
controller - neptune all the way
dosing - start out manual, then profilux, if you can swing it.
sump - let me know and i'll cur glass to what ever you want.
Sand - unknown (if i go with sand something really white)
liverock - will worry about it when the time comes
stand and canopy - will build myself
reactors - cant go wrong with deltec, or next reef
ATO - diy all the way
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...hies-reef.html
My Bio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8yfaZBXRMA
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
www.saltwatercritters.com
Reefer Ratings: (211 (100%)
Friends: (80)
Send a Private Message
Hey stranger, glad to see you back, and planning so many things in your life! Congrats on all of it.

Russ
Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
scoots also look into acan lighting.i love mine and everyone who sees my tank before i show them the unit think i have MH and the customer service is A+++.AS FOR THE HEATER I LOVE MY VIA AQUA TIATANIUM HEATER.I HAVE HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS NOW ON ITS OWN CONTROLLER.DNT KNOW MUCH ABOUT DOSERS BUT IVE HAD MY CALCIUM REACTOR UP FOR 2 WEEKS NOW AND LIKE IT SO FAR.mini cal.i also heard bad things about esv sand.im using reef crystals righ now and so far my favorite salt out of every salt ive used.im also very happy with my vertex in180 skimmer.the only thing i have to say is its very sensitive during feeding.welcome back
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Oh great, there goes the neighborhood!

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM
REEF ON!
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Send a Private Message
thanks everyone keep the suggestions coming... i will update the 1st post as i change the tank around...

Jarrett im glad to be back thanks

Randy what is the for lol

rkaragozler all i can say is wow and thanks alot for that comment it means alot to me cause i tryed very hard on my other tanks that i had. and it was because of the great people here

I know kathy sorry i took so long lol. You dont know me by now. Majority very nice colored sticks with some select softies..

awi thanks a bunch feels good to be getting my head back in here. ive been missing something in my life and figured it out its the salt ...

chief im just gonna make a lil noise hopefully i dun get arrested

200DD Upgrade

RIP Frank (FRY). You will be missed.

Last edited by Tonyscoots84; 11-18-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Skimmer Freak
Reefer Ratings: (84 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
same old crap chasing the impossible in the hobby.
truelly for lighting ive tried a few of the leds and always keep going back to my trusty t5's
was it your dad that helped with last stand ? might have to get him to help me if i ever find me a 120g i want
also congrats on the rest in your life, you still messing with comps ?

marineland custom 45g all in one cube, nano-box custom led w\2 antic powerbrites. mp10w bm nac5 hob, ac jr controller, bm 3 way doser
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
REEF ON!
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYreefNoob View Post
same old crap chasing the impossible in the hobby.
truelly for lighting ive tried a few of the leds and always keep going back to my trusty t5's
was it your dad that helped with last stand ? might have to get him to help me if i ever find me a 120g i want
also congrats on the rest in your life, you still messing with comps ?
yea my dad helped me with that stand. i really think if there are enough leds i would hope it looks good. ive seen some tanks with leds and they look great. thankyou very much nyreef. not really i said hell with it and went with a mac. i hate microsoft lol

200DD Upgrade

RIP Frank (FRY). You will be missed.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/111979-tonyscoots84s-very-long-60-gallon-cube-tank-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback 10-19-2012 07:00 PM
Tonyscoots84's very long 60 gallon cube tank thread - Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 08-14-2012 08:56 AM
Plumbing question - Reefs.com This thread Refback 01-02-2012 09:52 PM