ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
hello m/r i have 120 gal oceanic mixed reef tank and most of you know that my tank crashed last month and lost most of my fishes and corals and like everyone knows and been through that when you know that your tank is almost there and it can support it self and balanced eco system something always happens and all the hardwork goes down the drain. but then it makes you to think weather you should quit or carry on. but i decided to carry on not quit so after doing water change twice a week and cleaning up the rock and taking dead fish out one by one, cleaning up rock taking dyatom alage off and syphoning red slime algae (i hate it) from sand. but i still could not bring down my nitrates and phosphates. i even changed media every two weeks and cleaned out filters and ran tlf 500 bio pellets reacto. but then i started reading about vodka dosing since its another way to add carbon in your system to add bacteria in your system that consumes nitrates and phos bacteria and skimmer steps in and removes the bacteria from the system its been week and i have been dosing 40% proof vodka 1.5 ml eveyday and its been week my readings went down from 5 nitrate and 1.8 phosphate to 1 nitrate and 0.07 phosphate (hanna checkers readings). i will increase dose to 2.0ml and then run test again next sunday if the reading is 0 on nitrate and phosphate then i will cut dose down to half and keep it there and then i will try to remove media reactors one by one everyweek and test again if readings stay at 0 on both then i will putthem away for good and keep dosing vodka its much cheaper then buying media i will just keep carbon reactor but we see how its goes. live fishes are doing good and corals are opening normal i don't see any stress in live stock. keep ypu guys posted about outcome.​

i have been testing for parameters and its looking good...... nitrates are down to .5 and phosphates are 0.05 this test is done with hanna checkers and then API test kit and both are if not same then very very close.

below are pics of readings after 5 days and diy vodka doser that i made. i don't like the idea of adding all at once so i have this drip unit. i mix 1ml vodka in 60ml rodi water and then let it drip slowly 1 drop every two seconds and slowly it finishes basically i use this method for everything i have to dose for exe.... iodine and mag. its best way to add then just dumping in the system.

link to pics------http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/ravi197699/?action=view&current=IMAG0242.jpg

Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
that's really odd, i have been dosing for 8 weeks already and not a thing has happened, and i'm using 80 proof vodka. What is puzzling with yours is that phosphates dropped way before nitrates, from all the research i did it's the other way around. also did you start with 1.5 ml, according to the chart, it should have been a lot less, did you take into affect of the rock, and sand. what is the total volume of water that you went by?? MAybe you might have an answer for me that i am looking for.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/images/Table1-40Proof.jpg

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
that's really odd, i have been dosing for 8 weeks already and not a thing has happened, and i'm using 80 proof vodka. What is puzzling with yours is that phosphates dropped way before nitrates, from all the research i did it's the other way around. also did you start with 1.5 ml, according to the chart, it should have been a lot less, did you take into affect of the rock, and sand. what is the total volume of water that you went by?? MAybe you might have an answer for me that i am looking for.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/images/Table1-40Proof.jpg[/QUOTE
well nitrates are low because i have diy nitrate reactor that i have installed 10 days before works just fine but phos was still high so i decided to go this rout and yes this is the dose i have decided to go with which is 1.5 ml because i have only 70 lbs rock and 80 gal sump so water volume is there. and it seems to be working and by next 10 days i will find my continous permanent dose of vodka thank you for input

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
well propper way is you check the output water level of nitrates if nitrares show zero then you have to increase the flow and keep increasing it to max level. if nirtrates from output water is zero that means bacteria in the reactor is consuming all the nitrates and needs more and thats why we increast output to more so more water goes out so that more water can go in trhough media and then check it again. what i have is diy reactor with sulfur on the bottom and calcium media on top and and i was driping before and the inclreased the drip and now its on full flow and i checked output water yesterday and its was zero and display tank level at 1 so i am getting there but if vodka dose works for me i will stop using any reactor and just stick with vodka thank you

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: