MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So this is my 1st Tank thread here on MR... it will also be my first SPS dominated tank in general so that is def a mile stone. I will get pictures up in a bit of what I have so far, but it is a standard 90 AGA with MegaFlow overflow set to the left of center. It will be a slowish thread so I have not decided/ordered all the equipment so far.

Tank - 90G AGA
Stand - Custom I bought from Jarrett Shark but needs a little DIY to get a decent sized sump in it and a little TLC to spruce it up.
Sump - 29 Gallon (if it fits)
Skimmer - Octo Extreme XS 160 or the 1000SSS (Super Sump Saver)
Lights - I want to do a canopy but am not 100%, plus I am stuck between T5 and LED Modules / DIY LED
Dosing Pump - Have not decided yet and am still researching (Figure I will dose, Calcium, Mag, and Carbon)
Controller - Looking at the RKE
ATO - RKE should handle this (will use ATO water for Alk)
Return Pump - Prob a Mag 9.5 feeding a BRS GAC Reactor through a manifold (will leave one extra spigot just in case)
Rock- I have about 35 of BRS Pukani and Shelf that is undergoing a Lanthanum Chloride Treatment, then some will go into a friends sump to get established and I will cycle the rest in a Brute while I set up.
Sand - Going .5'' - 1'' of 1/2 Caribean Sea Special Grade and 1/2 Arag Live Special Grade (I am stealing this from JBanks, but its only flatter right?)

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The Stand...
24345.jpg

The Inside of the Tank... I will be knocking out the inside panel and framing the inside middle with 2x4's
32323.jpg

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So I am thinking of getting Hanna checkers for phosphates, calcium, and Alkalinity. With the RKE I would also have ORP and Ph testing. I am researching but still Wondering how the Hanna checkers are, if they come with regeants, how the RKE probes are, and what people use to test nitrates. I currently only use API for my tank.

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hanna checkers arrived yesterday and I have done 2 phosphate tests in the last 15 hours. Originally with API I got 2.0 phosphates, yesterday I got .10 and today .14. My lanthanum chloride dosing has been 25ml everyotherday. I did not dose yesterday so I will dose today. I have read that to get the rock leaching down to the .06 level took people 3 weeks, I would say I am on schedule. The good thing is the rock been cycling while the treatment occurred. Nitrites are going down and nitrates are up around 20-40 on API.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
not to burst any bubbles. I think your wasting your time trying to rid of phosphates from dry rock. I used all dry for my 220. some Marco and some brs shelve and branch. I have had no algae problems what do ever.

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
EcchybridLE - I am doing the treatment because I used 95% pukani in my parents 72 and am still fighting phosphates. Cyano is all over the rock and it was set up sept 1 2011. I have a BRS GFO reactor and! A refugium with chaeto in it.

Mattl22 - I am on RC a lot and there was always talk of phosphates leaching from the pukani. If u use the search for lanthanum chloride there are a few threads... Oregonreefer has the best and is basically what I based my treatment on

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So the rock testing is going well... One or two more treatments and I am done. Yesterday phosphates were at .07 before dosing so I didn't even test after words. I am having a custom stand built now and still have a few things to get ordered. Next project will be the sump, I'm going with a 29 separated in two sections (skimmer and return) with a set of 3 baffles separating them.

MattyO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Update... I picked up a 29 gal tank and had 3 baffles cut for me. The baffles are all silicones in and I will water test tomorrow.

Wanted to thank Ohana for stopping by and taking the rest of my lanthanum off my hands. I guess I didn't tell you but that brute full of rock is only 35 lbs or pukani and 15 of shelf.

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Update... I picked up a 29 gal tank and had 3 baffles cut for me. The baffles are all silicones in and I will water test tomorrow.

Wanted to thank Ohana for stopping by and taking the rest of my lanthanum off my hands. I guess I didn't tell you but that brute full of rock is only 35 lbs or pukani and 15 of shelf.

thank you, matt. it was great meeting & chatting with you. good luck with the rest of your build! thx again for the lanthanum! will post my results soon...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: