dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just decided to show some pics of the new 135gallon tank im in the process of setting up. Always looking for new suggestions from u guys (the pros). Thanks! Lighting is done with (3) 250W metal halide 10,000k bulbs and (2) 96W Actinic Compact Flourescents.

The overview of the tank. Added 220lbs of aragonite sand that i seaded with a cupfull of sand from an estabished tank. Also added 150lbs of live rock. Still on the lookout for more live rock.
FarShot.JPG

I bought the tank and cabintery from Glasscages.com. The only thing im not happy with is the location of the overflows (I wish they were in the corners! I didnt specify where i wanted them...so i guess this is the default spot). The cabinets came unfinished so I stained them and put 3 coats of synthetic finish on top. CLOUDY BECUASE I JUST ADDED THE SAND AND ROCK TODAY
FarShotAngle.JPG

I installed 1.5inch Durso Standpipes (they work beautifully!), and the returns are 1 inch.
Overflow.JPG

The sump is a 48gallon which receives the tank water on the left hand side (where im thinking of adding a bit of bioballs) then i have a large area in the middle where i made a deep sand bad of aragonite (about 4-5inches) where i added a cup of a sand from an established tank.
SumpFarShot.JPG

The return pump is a turbo-sea 1270gph with 1 inch fittings. In the background is the protein skimmer (Aqua-C 180) with mag 7 pump. I'm going to install it outside the sump (prolly do that today). Have to drill the sump for a 1inch bulkhead first.
PumpandProteinSkimmer.JPG

Close up of the sump tank with deep sand bed.

Attachments

• SumpNearShot.JPG
    SumpNearShot.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
looks like a great start.
what is the size of the 135?

this should be in the tank threads section, let me know if you would like me to move it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
congrats.... everything looks great... i would fill her up with more live rock... and as said already i wouldnt use the bioballs... if u are worried about floating particles or air bubbles in the tank add a filter sponge or a filter sock and clean it reg. great job so far...

congrats and i cant wait to see this tank develop.... keep us updated...

gegema

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nice setup you have there. Congrats!! Just one thought, might what to consider moving the electrical above the sump more to your right. Just a precautionary measure.

Looks great!

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone! Wow i cant believe ive been moved out of the beginners section! I guess I know more than I thought! SO I guess Im gonna ditch the bioballs idea then. I know some people think they're nitrate factories...so I guess its gone. I will definitely do the filter sock though...cause I am getting a lot of microbubbles in the tank.

So the EV-180 is no good huh? Well I'm fairly commited to it now so i guess I'll hook it up and see how I do with it.

Does anyone recommend hooking a canister filter in the series somewhere? Or should i just use the bioball area to put filter media/carbon, etc when needed?

I'll definitely keep u guys updated on the progress...and once the cycle is over and I add some livestock...I'll post all the pics! Thanks

Anyone have live rock they're willing to part with for a fair price????

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dzuckerm said:
Thanks everyone! Wow i cant believe ive been moved out of the beginners section! I guess I know more than I thought! SO I guess Im gonna ditch the bioballs idea then. I know some people think they're nitrate factories...so I guess its gone. I will definitely do the filter sock though...cause I am getting a lot of microbubbles in the tank.

So the EV-180 is no good huh? Well I'm fairly commited to it now so i guess I'll hook it up and see how I do with it.

Does anyone recommend hooking a canister filter in the series somewhere? Or should i just use the bioball area to put filter media/carbon, etc when needed?

I'll definitely keep u guys updated on the progress...and once the cycle is over and I add some livestock...I'll post all the pics! Thanks

Anyone have live rock they're willing to part with for a fair price????

Welcome to MR!!!!

I wouldnt worry to much abou tthe skimmer .I would ditch the deep sand bed in your sump ,and put the aqua c in there instead ,It will work alot better ,and dont use a mag drive pump for it ,they suck.IF you are going external ,look at the skimmer thread for the best pump to use,JMO

Other wise ,looks great .:wink1:

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New Pics (Updated)

Hey guys...the tanks been up and running for about two months now. Fully cycled and all of the parameter's seem fine (pH 8.3, alk 3.5, Ca 380 (working on it), Ammonia 0, Nitirites 0, Nitrates 5, Phos 0, Spec Grav 1.025, temp 78-82). Here are some pics:

Center View:
Center.JPG

Right Side:
Right Side.JPG

My Anemone with pair of False Percs (purchased from WIngoAgency)
Anemone.JPG

Frogspawn (couldnt really capture all of its amazing color with this pic)
Frogspawn.JPG

Last edited:

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I'm not sure exactely how to judge if a skimmer is "doing well". I empty the cup about twice a week and i get about a cm deep of very thick skimmate. So..is that good? hehehe

I made a mistake with the pH...its actually 8.3! HAHAHA...7.3 is more in the realm of the pH of the human body (which is normally about 7.4) Sorry bout that...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: