64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...For the last four months, I?ve been dealing with my second tank crash; this time due to a copper infusion the source of which is STILL unknown. Finally, my Poly Pads are coming back clean so I will start to rebuild the reef structure in another week or so. I will be using about 90% new (cycled) LR but I have to ?scape it while it?s full of water and fish so I?m thinking the entire project should take about 6 weeks or so [500g]. Believe it or not, I?m looking forward to this. Not much will change; maybe a couple more LPS, at the request of my daughter, but still SPS dominant. Even though this phase is still a ways off yet, I mention it in hopes you guys will continue to post shots of your finest acro specimens so, if anything, I can begin to shop now in comfort. I just wanted to mention that to counter a few of those "He's out of the hobby" rumors I've been hearing lately. No way. No way.

Michael

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It will be good to have you back! :)

If the copper source is unknown one would likely guess that there was a copper piece (perhaps) used somewhere in the plumbing of the tank or in one of the pumps. Are you going to rebuild all of those areas to be safe?

64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that ur tank was un reAl!! Did u lose everything?? Any theroys as too how copper got it tank? Enjoy ur rebuild goodluck

I lost 99% of my SPS, about 20% of my LPS, and most of my snails and crabs. The fish came through ok. I have no theories at all as I have either taken apart or replaced everything I could think of. I have also painstakingly searched the sump and tank itself for anything that might have fallen or been thrown in.

It will be good to have you back! :)
If the copper source is unknown one would likely guess that there was a copper piece (perhaps) used somewhere in the plumbing of the tank or in one of the pumps. Are you going to rebuild all of those areas to be safe?

I've already checked all the plumbing; most of which I've been using for several years. Nothing brass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: