Reef-gazer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-gazers 40 gal Breeder Mixed Reef

The tank is a (AGA) aqueon 40 breeder.I picked it up when one of the big pet store chains were having their dollar a gallon sale.
I drilled the bottom for a Herbie style drain and drilled the back for the return.Molded my own internal overflow, siliconed in place painted it and the back of the tank black with Krylon Fusion.
Made the stand and modified a wetdry that i had for the sump/fuge which is about 20 gal. with 3 chambers.
Im running a pentair/lifeguard 25 watt uv.a sealife system skimmer which i plan on upgrading soon,Mag 5 return,which is also on the list to replace, a mp 10es w, a fishneedit 4 bulb t5 fixture with ATI bulbs modded with led moonlights and a autotopoff Auto top off :biggrin:.
The tanks been running since 1/2011.
some early pics of the build

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 1 40b.jpg
    1 40b.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Reef-gazer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,as of now i have a misbar clown and a blue dot goby.I just lost a few fish to an outbreak.it was my fault and i payed for it.
I also have a skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp , pistol shrimp a anemone crab,harlequin sea star a fromia star.i will get an updated shot up soon.

Reef-gazer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you John,im very happy with the way the tank looks now,I just need a couple more sps pieces im looking to get and a couple more fish.this size tank is so easy to maintain but somewhat limited with space.I may do a 75 gal again in the future.

Reef-gazer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Herbie is extremely quiet.Now if i could only quiet down my skimmer and my return pump.For the return im thinking of giving the deep blue triton pumps a try.Anyone here have any experience with them??
Thanks for looking.

Reef-gazer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,Thats the look i was aiming for.I didnt want the ole pile of rocks in middle of the tank.Believe it or not this tank was almost broken down due to a bad gha problem.im at the tail end now.ive been fighting it with peroxide treatment.Thats why the birdsnest in the upper right is white.Its alive and should color back up.Ive done this before with it,but for some reason its being a little difficult on this coral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: