Q

qqfob

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I was not introduced to the forum until almost 3 months in. It was a rush to get rid of them because they were aggressive to any new thing I put in the tank, they over eat, and one had attacked the other to near death. Consider it eye for an eye. And fwiw, if flushing a fish is such a crime then there must at least be a sticky in the beginners forum, or any forum, which there is not. I did it, I'm never doing it again, enough said, move on please. Do I need to apologize also? And BTW, I am upset because with a few exceptions, there were no help posted prior to my second post, and still nobody have posted why you shouldn't flush a fish other than it will die, so let me help...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/a/noflush.htm

If a rush cycle is not possible, then it must be a miracle that my tank established? I am no longer using the Special Blend, I still have a quarter of the bottle but I don't feel that I still need it.

20 fish is not correct, the correct count is 18, one maroon was given away to a friend and another maroon is in my 4 gal. I still have one more maroon. The fishes grew a little, but all are still under 2 inches, I know of a few that will probably need to go after growing to roughly 4 inches anyway, like the Chisletooth Wrasse.

If all my tests came out good at the end of the month, why do I still need to do weekly water changes? I have my DT set for 8hrs white, 6hrs blue overlap, 12hrs total with two 120w LED boxes. My fuge is set for the 12 hrs opposite of that, single PC. I have absolutely no unwanted algae other than what's on the glass, and everything else is Coraline.

Fishtown sold me everything, my first 3 months were a lot of spending there and i was being fed incorrect information. Believe me, I asked about everything before I bought it, but there were outright lies running through my head. Cronoid, spanish dancer, harlequin shrimp, etc... I do not go there anymore.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well that's why fishtown has the rep they do. They should have given you good info which they did not.

But the chromis' is all you bud. Common sense should tell you not to flush a living creature down a toilet to die. If you read before jumping in you would have known chromis are in the damsel family along with clowns and although usually not, they can get aggressive. A phone call or visit to the store to ask would have awoken you to the fact that most stores will take back fish. They won't refund your money but they would have taken them off your hands.

Anyway hope it all works out I guess.

Q

qqfob

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Here's a fishlist
Orange Ocellarius Clowns
Black Ocellarius
Gold Bar Maroon
Neon blue Goby
Yellow watchman with a Pistol
a white dartfish
Green Mandarin
Scooter blenny in the fuge
Coral beauty
Black cap Basslet
2 Dispar Anthias
Peppermint Hog
Yellow Candy Hog
Carpenters Wrasse
Chisletooth Wrasse
Lubbock Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse

Deathlist, and the reason for it
2 Chromis' - flushed
Longfin wrasse - emerald crab
First Helfrichi - emerald
first Mandarin - emerald
Swissguard - Blackcap basslet
second Helfrichi - shipping stress?
Dragon Pipe - lack of pods
first Maroon - attacked by other clowns
purple firefish - coral banded pair
third Helfrichi - overheated in the 4 gal
Hectors gobie - attacked by all
second longfin - DOA
first pair of Dispar - unknown, were the first ones into the new tank. suspect Coral banded pair.
Linespot Wrasse - unknown, missing

Heres an invert list, minus regular snails and hermits
5 Rock Anemones
2 Cowries
1 Blood Red shrimp
1 Deresa Clam
1 Crocea Clam
2 Halloween hermits
1 Porcelain crab
1 Pom Pom crab
2 large fighting conches
5 smaller conches
1 Purple pincushion urchin
1 White puncushion
1 Tuxedo
1 Longspline
5 large Nassarius
1 missing Abalone
2 red Sea Stars
1 Electric scallope
1 Fan worm

Q

qqfob

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well that's why fishtown has the rep they do. They should have given you good info which they did not.

But the chromis' is all you bud. Common sense should tell you not to flush a living creature down a toilet to die. If you read before jumping in you would have known chromis are in the damsel family along with clowns and although usually not, they can get aggressive. A phone call or visit to the store to ask would have awoken you to the fact that most stores will take back fish. They won't refund your money but they would have taken them off your hands.

Anyway hope it all works out I guess.

Funny thing is, I did ask them what I should do with the Chromis' b/c I was having trouble catching them. "Leave them in there, they're not aggressive"

Q

qqfob

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Don't Flush the fish at least put them on the barbecue and have yourself a meal..

there is a lot of jokes to make when you're not the one taking the heat...

I have animal morals, and I also understand why some of you guys would be vegetarians. But if you told me Chromis' taste good, they would have been deep fried. My clams look delicious as well, raw. And I have yet to try sea urchin or conch...

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
there is a lot of jokes to make when you're not the one taking the heat...

I have animal morals, and I also understand why some of you guys would be vegetarians. But if you told me Chromis' taste good, they would have been deep fried. My clams look delicious as well, raw. And I have yet to try sea urchin or conch...

No joke ...use to grill ocars very delicious on the barbi

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You're only taking heat because of the plethera of sources of good info. Never as you've now learned go on a single sources info.

So you're taking a bit of a beating, it'll only teach you more as the more people chime in. You're never too old or experienced to learn off of others.

LEARN from this and do the right thing from now on.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Ice Fire Empanada

I will take one of these when you are ready to frag that, I heart empanadas, especially my mother in laws with some hot sauce. :wink1:

On a serious note, if you are dosing something, check it more than monthly, once your corals start growing they will utilize different amounts of elements and will require you to modify your dosage.
Also, that rock has a ton of sps on it, you need to envision what they will look like when they are colonies and how they will interact as they grow.

Live and learn, you have made many mistakes but as long as you learn from them and listen to the good advice you will do fine. MR is a great resource, a lot of situations you have gotten into have been covered here, just please don't think you are the exception to the rule, cycling doesn't have a corner to be cut and your tank didn't cycle quickly, you probably didn't notice as you were losing fish and cycling. For example(purely based on my limited knowledge of what died in your tank) crabs usually go after fish after they are weak or injured, they are mostly scavengers not predators... which means all the fish that died and you attributed to crab deaths, they most likely died of something else (perhaps attributed to the chemical processes happening during a cycle) and the crabs simply got to them after they were dead or immobilized... something to at least think about. I have a couple of emerald crabs in my tank ( 1 is a monster) and he doesn't bother any of my fish, some of which started at less than an inch years ago.

We are a better resource than 99% of pet stores if you really pay attention.

DrAsTiC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
+1111 and use a different test kit besides api.

You're only taking heat because of the plethera of sources of good info. Never as you've now learned go on a single sources info.

So you're taking a bit of a beating, it'll only teach you more as the more people chime in. You're never too old or experienced to learn off of others.

LEARN from this and do the right thing from now on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: