rhudgins

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
After maintaining a 45 gallon reef tank for 6 years and after many ups and downs in this hobby, I finally knew it was time to upgrade to something on a whole new level. My previous tank was an impulse buy that initially started off as a freshwater tank and then converted into a fish only and then a reef tank further down the road. My whole setup had "hang on back" equipment with no sump so as you all can imagine I experienced many tank disasters (including major leaks with sparks flying out of outlets :supermad:). I have always had my eye on this tank and after visiting the ELOS Aquastudio in NJ I was sold. Jesse, Larry and Ralph were a great help and they delivered it to my apartment. Being that I am on the 3rd floor of an old building I was a little concerned about the weight of the tank (2,000+lbs) but after locating the direction of the beams and setting up the tank in the right spot I now think I will be able to sleep comfortably at night :).

Sump: Standard elos sump with all of the in-sump equipment that comes with the setup. I wanted to keep this simple to begin with and possibly make modifications down the road. However, to start I will be converting the top-off reservoir portion of the sump into a refugium...

Lighting: I have always been a T5 lover and over the years have had the most success as far as a mixture of color and growth with these fixture. IMO MH nor LEDs can compare, especially with the coloration. The design of the ELOS LED Aquatop for the system 120 is sick and I spoke with Jesse to see if a custom T5 fixture modeled after the Aquatop could be made to no avail :cool:. I ended up going with the ATI powermodule T5 fixture, which to my surprise is pretty freakin bright and nice looking. To All you LED-Lovers, this tank may bring you back to the old school... :Yikes::Yikes:

Additional filtration: 2 TLF reactors, 1 carbon, 1 phosphate.

Powerheads: Vortech MP40 and MP10

Substrate: CaribSea Figi pink. The grain size of this sand is perfect, not too large and not too small to create sand storms. My previous tank had crushed coral which was the ultimate detrius trap- terrible stuff.

Live rock: Old rock from my previous setup that I had dried out.

Controller: Apex Lite Aqua Contoller (nice gift from the girlfriend :flirt:)

Dosing Pump: I previously was a manual doser but I am DONE DONE DONE with that. I am thinking Bubble Magus but not sure yet. Any suggestions?????????

Chiller: Still looking for a chiller in the 1/4-1/6 HP range. Let me know if anyone has one.

I just got this cycling process started so it will be a little while before I start stocking the tank. I can't wait though, this is going to be a BEAUTY!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,130

rhudgins

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the love guys.

good luck with your new set up......... is that the 6 bulb or 8 ati fixture ?

6 bulb fixture. 4 ATI Blue BLUS, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, 1ATI Purple Plus. The 8 bulb fixture would be overkill for this tank IMO.

I am gonna get the same tank when my house is ready.Just noticed that the Stand has no bottom panel? I thought the one I saw inaqua studio has a bottom panel.

If you have the space go with the 120XL. The depth of the tank will make the aquascaping much easier. There is no bottom panel to the stand. I cut a vinyl chair mat to size and placed it under my stand to protect the floor from waterspills. The last thing I need is a water logged floor and my landlord trying to keep my security deposit!

Is t5 Really considered old school already? lol then what is metal halidesconsidred

Lol. Between running a chiller 24/7 and the cost to light a MH fixture youmight as well just give your paycheck to conEd every month.

Nice clean looking tank. Can't wait to followyour thread and see it mature

Thanks Jeff. I never got around to telling you but I cracked that Solana you sold me about a year ago when I was installing the plumbingafter drilling it. Oh boy was that a big flood!

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh this is the kind of tank I modeled mine after because I found the Elos too pricey.
Love the looks, best of luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: