TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How exactly do the two brute cans work? I understand one is fresh RODI and the other is a mixing tub? What have you done to the lid of the mixing tub and how does the system work?

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How exactly do the two brute cans work? I understand one is fresh RODI and the other is a mixing tub? What have you done to the lid of the mixing tub and how does the system work?

Well what we have here is a 55 gallon Brute can with the lid on. I installed a Mag drive pump in the can and ran a hose up to the 1" bulkhead I mounted in the center of the lid. From there it goes to PVC pipe that I can direct the water either to a outlet to fill buckets with or move a couple of ball valves and pump the RODI water over to a 32 gallon Brute can for mixing up salt water for water changes. I bought a deck plate at West Marine with a clear center and mounted it to the center of the lid with stainless steel screws. I also put a Mag drive pump in this can that is connected to a 1" bulkhead with a hose. There is a manifold at that point that will allow me to ether pump new salt water into the sump for water changes or direct it back into the can for mixing up the salt. Where it goes back into the can for mixing there is a pvc pipe that goes down almost to the bottom with a 90 deg fitting on it to direct the water. So far everything has worked great. :goldfish2

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank has water

I filled the system over a two day period. Didn't have enough RODI water to fill it in one shot. Topped it off today and got everything runing except the skimmer. I will start that up in a day or so. Added the salt and will give it a day to settle down. I will put the live sand in the refug tomorrow and go pick up a live rock to put in there as well. Also need to add starter bacteria. Everything worked out great with no leaks anywhere. :party:

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 681

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks

Yes I started this set up back in early May. Just ordered the parts needed when I could afford them. We all know this is a $$$$$ hobby. Doing it this way was fun and I had time to really think out what I wanted. I will post more photos as the tank progresses. Thanks again for all the great feed back. :happysad:

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Extra Pukani Dry Aquarium Live Rock for sale

I finished setting up the tank and found that I could not use these pieces of Pukani in my main display tank. I am in Mount Sinai, Long Island and if you are interested in any of these pieces give me a reply. I really don't want to ship these because they are on the large size and would go great in a large tank. :scratchch

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 670

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Wow this set up is very nice and clean. Great work! Looks like you got a little lab going.. lol Like from breaking bad or something.

once again great work.

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
System is runing video

Here is a link to the video of the basement filter sump and refugium that I have just in the last week got up and runing.The Filter Sump, Skimmer and Refugium are from LifeReef and I can't say enough great things about the workmanship in these units. I will keep posting updates as the system comes along over time. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIuyHarGYXI

captbillm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pump Sound

Beautiful setup. LOVE a big cube. How is the noise with the pump on the bench? I don't see anything under it. Was curious about vibration noise.

It is very quiet with just the hum of the pump. There is no vibration at all. I put a small piece of rubber under it just to see, and there was no sound change. The Blue Line Pump is pretty quiet.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
im sure the display is going to be just unbelievable. but your equipment set up is so impressive and organized. I would seriously pay you to hook my equipment room up like that when I do my big upgrade lol I just dont have the know how to plumbing like that. great work. It shows years of experience

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: