masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
LeslieS said:
OMgoodness. Amonia level is 8! So much for a kinder gentler cycle:Yikes:

That's a good thing. Working it's magic. I would try to get the rest of your LR in there before adding any livestock. You could experience another cycle when you add more.

swimmer

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I restacked my rocks, did a water change, and modified my sump to work better with my skimmer. This pic isn't all that different from the last one, but I feel like I did so much today, that I need a pic post :biggrin: .

Also, you cannot see it in this pic, but the view through the tank is great. There are little sail boats in my aquarium :)

Attachments

• tank pk.jpg
    tank pk.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 580

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I swear - the view gets reduced by one building each summer. The only good thing is that it keeps our rent from going up! We pay less now than when we moved here!!!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
your rent went down? that's crazy I never heard that before.

well I know where the saved rent money is going ;)

how much more rock are you going to put in the tank?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For now, 2 more big pieces on the pile and some baseball size to fill out holes and scatter in the front. I am happy that I waited. I feel like it would have been easy to add too many and have the tank look too solid. Also, I pretty much killed all the rocks that are in there so adding a few pieces at a time now will bring some life back.

My nitrates are still too high, so I am mixing up some more water for another change. I hope to be able to start adding things soon. It looks like I have bryopsis, hair algae, diatoms, and some blue green starting. I really want to get those taken care of!

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Where's the Fish? Nice looking tank. You should look into some big tonga branch pieces to add diversity to the structure. A few pieces protruding into the water column looks nice. Maybe i am partial to that kind of rock :smile: .

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Clean up crew time Leslie! Let me know when you start stocking! :) I can can recommend some pieces.

Last edited:

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
the sand bed in the fuge could be a problem. i would definitely throw in sand sifter down there when your ready. i would recommend a sand sifting sea star and a pencil urchin. both pretty cheap.

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Please don't take this the wrong way, but sand shifting stars can wreck a live sand bed. They should not be recommended for clean up crews.

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sand Shifting stars munch all the goodies in the sand bed, thats why swift through sand so well. The only problem is that they eat all the good stuff. Gobies also are not good reef canidates because of this. Sea Cucumbers make better sand cleaners because they only eat detrius.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: