krustycat

Copepod
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look at this article http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/rs/index.php (The Infamous Detritivore by Ron Shimek) and
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php (How Sand Bed Really Works by Ron Shimek) and http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php (Echinoderms in Aquaria by Ron Shimek)

Obviously, sea stars are neat and amazing animals. Just as obviously, most are simply not suitable for marine aquaria. They eat a lot, and some eat everything they encounter. In tropical areas, many of the most common stars feed on corals, which really isn’t surprising, as there is a lot of this food and it cannot run away. In addition to Acanthaster, other species, such as Choriaster granulatus and Culcita novaeguinea, share the coral diets. The genus Linkia, however, is reef safe. The large, blue Linkia laevigata, occasionally found for sale, is a surface deposit feeder and a relatively good scavenger. However, they can get quite large, well over a foot (30 centimeters) in diameter and can outgrow an average aquarium. Some smaller species of Linkia, such as Linkia multiflora, are very attractive animals that may make a good addition to aquaria. The linkiids also have another interesting trait. They reproduce by “cometary fission,” in which one arm and a portion of the central disk rips off the parent (which then heals up and grows a new arm). The arm walks away and regenerates a disk and more arms from the disk. These regenerating stars look a lot like Mediaeval drawings of a comet — hence the name “cometary” reproduction. As with all echinoderms, linkiids do best at full strength reef salinities of 35 to 37 ppt and temperatures around 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

Rossana

Last edited:

krustycat

Copepod
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chief I also have small brittle stars in my DSB. No problems so far. :)

wrote by DrShimek at reefcentral thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17679

Okay - here are my thoughts:

Queen Conchs= Great herbivores for sand and adjacent rocks. Need about 2 square feet of sand surface space to do well. Eat diatoms.

Brittle or Serpent Stars = Okay scavengers for sand surface. Green ones to be avoided.

Jawfish and Sleeper Gobies = Avoid these.

Sand Dwelling Stars = Avoid these

Sand Dollars = Okay, but need a lot of sand surface space. Haven't kept any personally, so don't exact needs, would guess to be similar in requirements to Queen Conch.

Baby Sea Biscuits = Okay, similar to sand dollars. Need very fine sand to do well.

Sand Eating Cucumbers = Good animals to have.

Pistol Shrimp = Okay, but ???

Globe Urchins = Okay, but???

These last 2 are iffy, pistol shrimp are fine and neat, but may become a bit of a nuisance. The urchins are likely fine, I am not sure how big they get. Large ones could bea problem, small ones are likely fine.

I'm confused now. I though all stars were bad for DSB's. Is there a difference between Brittle/Serpent stars which you say are OK and Sand Dwelling Stars?

Yes. They are alike in that they are echinoderms and have arms. They are dissimilar in just about every other characteristic. Sort of like humans and frogs.

If so what are the names of sand dwelling stars so I can avoid them. All I have ever heard of are Brittles and Serpents?

Well.... the scientific names are pretty meaningless, as most hobbyists can't distinguish them. Furthermore the common names of "brittle" and "sepent" are interchangeable and don't tell you anything.

Sand safe stars are small (less than 1/2 diatmeter) brittle/serpent stars. Also some of the larger black or brown b/s stars.

For instance, I was looking at some of the clean up packages at saltwaterfish.com and they come with brittles and/or Serpents. However, I was not going to get them because I though they were bad stars for a DSB.

Well, you simply can't tell from the name, you need a picture and size range.

Most small stars - brittle or otherwise will be fine, but we are starting to throw around common names without any reality check of an image or three, so... consider all adivce tentative until I get an image or specimen to examine.

Hope this helps.

DSC_0095.jpg

Those are mine
Rossana

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What it boils down to is DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Somebody out there is bound to tell you that Clownfish are the most vicious fish in the world and that lionfish are okay to pet. If it is in your picture for your tank, DO IT. as long as you can keep the animals you care for alive and well DO IT.

As for opinion everyone has em, take them listen to them and figure out if they are for you or not.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was trying to get a full tank shot. The problem with a two sided tank is that if you leave towels and equipment on the table, they end up in the picture!

Anyway, I wish I know how to do more than crop and resize photos! I will try again tomorrow, but I will move the towels, power head, etc...

Attachments

• October 14 2006 026.jpg edit.jpg
    October 14 2006 026.jpg edit.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 296

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, I told Ming that I would update my thread if he updated his :flirt: . I really need to learn to take better pictures!!

Attachments

• October 22 2006 020.jpg
    October 22 2006 020.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 264
  • October 22 2006 028.jpg
    October 22 2006 028.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 262

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
New green leather from Deepwater
Green mushroom from the last swap grab bag
Laffy Taffy from NYReefNoob
The full monty from the swap auction

Attachments

• green leather.jpg
    green leather.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 191
  • green shroom.jpg
    green shroom.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 189
  • laffy taffy et al.jpg
    laffy taffy et al.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 186
  • monty.jpg
    monty.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 185

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Candycane from HOFish
Fifty Cent with his mantle fully regrown
Flame scallop and some hermits
Green Rhodactis killing one of my purple frilly mushrooms - he refuses to move from that spot!

Attachments

• flame scallop.jpg
    flame scallop.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 182
  • frilly green rhod.jpg
    frilly green rhod.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 181
  • fity cent top down.jpg
    fity cent top down.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 181
  • candy.jpg
    candy.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 183

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Oprah and friends
Paly Rock
Snowball
Stedman from the top

Attachments

• Oprah et al.jpg
    Oprah et al.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Paly Rock.jpg
    Paly Rock.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 185
  • snow ball.jpg
    snow ball.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • stedman top down.jpg
    stedman top down.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 183

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Steel blue
Yellow fiji
The Lone Ranger from Reefman - thanks!!! He's gorgeous

Attachments

• steel blue.jpg
    steel blue.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 182
  • yellow fiji.jpg
    yellow fiji.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 186
  • the lone ranger.jpg
    the lone ranger.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 181

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have trouble getting a full tank shot, and I want to say that some of these things are from the swap. I will not really feel like they are mine until they thrive in my tank!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: