hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hi MR,

This is my first attempt at a tank thread so excuse if I dont follow forum etiquette but please let me know if I need to conform to something. Thanks.

I started this tank in March of 2012 with only a Amiracle wet/dry with bio-balls and an old QuietOne 1200 pump. For bacteria, I used Live Sand and NutraFin Cycle. I only started with about 80 pounds of base coral rock and cycled/cured the rock in the tank.

I let it cycle for about 2 months and put in the first fish in June.

These pictures are from July with the 2nd round of fish (Tomato Clown, LionFish, Yellow Tang and Niger Trigger).

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 318

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
After a few months, and a stable water parameters, I started to increase the bio-load and the amount of rocks. The rocks I didn't pre-cure. I dipped all of them in acid and cleaned them individually and I also added one piece at a time, mostly on a weekly basis. I did this to control the Ammonia spikes.

I know that the best thing is to cycle the rock outside the tank but I am just too impatient. I am cycling rock outside main tank on the reef tank I am trying to start.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 309

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Once I noticed the tank was maturing, I went into the next phase which was to add a Protein Skimmer to control the bio-load. I went with a Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi. It is overkill but my bio-load is also very high for a 75g.

About this time, my original base rock was starting to grow coraline so I added more rock. Here is a full tank around this time. The purple all the way to the left is a Condy Anemone.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 307

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
This is where I am today...

All the rock in my tank has nice growth, with the newer rock with very nice colors. I like a more natural look so I really like to look of the green and purple coralline growth.

What I didn't like was the green/brown algae growing on the glass. While my Ammonia and Nitrite is consistently at 0, my Nitrates tend to be high because of the bio-load. So, I changed my wet/dry configuration, taking out the bio-balls and blue/white filter pads and replaced it with filter socks. I figured the bio-balls weren't necessary with all the rock in the tank anyway.

I have also started vodka and hydrogen peroxide dosing to maintain the tank. In taking out the bio-balls (all at once), i got a spike in Nitrate.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 305

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Well, on the 4th day of Vodka dosing and my nitrates have gone from 160 to 40ppm. The brown stuff is obviously dying. Just doubled the dosage from .4ml to .8ml as per the schedule.

Hopefully it continues to go down.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Tank looks great Hector!!! Love that eel, what is it? Beautiful lion as well! Black Volatin Lionfish is the reason I am his this hobby...;) You already know how I feel about that skimmer.;)

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The eel is called Chainlink Moray Eel. I bought him very young and small. The first few months was agony, he escaped every chance he could.

I think I found him on the floor about 2 or 3 times and countless times in my overflow.

I want to remove the top plastic hood but he's keeping me from doing it. Its an old 75g without the center brace so I dont have options when it comes to covers.

Black Volatin Lionfish is also one of my favorite fish...I just feel you can't have a FOWLR without one.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can try some pond netting with Velcro, it works great for stopping fish from escaping.

I was going to say the same thing.;)

You think HD or Lowes has this? That sounds like a brilliant idea.

You can get the nylon window screen at HD or Lowes, and while you're there you can also get the window screen framing. Real easy to put together. Then get something heavy that is water proof or something to keep the eel from pushing it up.;)

BTW, that is the prettiest chain link eel I have ever seen...;)

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Finally got my Nitrates to 0, or close to it. I am testing with API so I can't know for sure how low it is. Being a FOWLR, just happy it isnt 160ppm any more.

3 weeks of dosing Vodka and some Vinegar plus removing the Bio-Balls did an amazing job. I also have been feeding almost daily and have not done a water change in this period.

I plan on a small water change soon and will start reducing the vodka dosing to see effects.

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
really cool and liking the rock work, what kind of dwarf angel is that?

Thanks, I am really obsessed about the rock and all the caves. Pictures really don't show the all the hiding places for the fish.

The angel is a Hawaiian Potter's Angel. That picture really doesn't give it justice. The Orange and Blue on it is amazing and it has a beautiful blue luminescent glow on its tail.

The fish is very quick so I have not been able to get the right picture.

Attachments

• Hawaiian Potters 1.jpg
    Hawaiian Potters 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0173 copy.jpg
    IMG_0173 copy.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks Mike, really appreciate it.

Trying hard to have a varied FOWLR. I saw an insane red grouper the other day. Just afraid it will outgrow the tank too quickly. My Tomato Clown is a punk and hides in the corner from the Potters Angel. I'm moving into the new 55g.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: