dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Unfortunately my three saltwater tanks did not make it through hurricane Sandy. I was running a 180 and 65 gallon reef tanks, and a 125 fish only tank. I lost all of my corals and inverts and probably 20 or more fish. Thankfully i still have five fish survivors.

After thinking long and hard about throwing in the towel I decided to retire the 65 and 125 gallon tanks and set up the 180 as reef tank again. Well, the 125 gallon is not technically retired from duty it is just being repurposed to house my diamondback terrapin/African cichlids.

Now my basement has been repaired, the tanks leveled, the rock bleached and saltwater prepped. I just need to rinse the new sand then aquascape and I am ready to start the cycle. Planning on getting the sand and rock wet this weekend.

I am excited to get this tank going again. Looking at all the cool fish and corals I want to buy has been killing me. While I was really hurt by the loss of my beloved animals I am looking forward to a fresh start. Here are some pictures of my old tank and pictures of a mock up of my planned aquascape.

What do you think of the rock set up? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Pictures didnt post

lets try that again.

Attachments

• reef4.jpg
    reef4.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 246
  • reef1.jpg
    reef1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 249
  • reef2.jpg
    reef2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 247
  • reef3.jpg
    reef3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Rock1.JPG
    Rock1.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 240
  • rock2.JPG
    rock2.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 249
  • rock3.JPG
    rock3.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 245

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
That really sucks. I'm sorry that you had to lose your tanks but glad to see you coming back. I like the way you did the rocks.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I got the rock and sand into the tank today. Unfortunately it looks like I filled the tank up with milk. Guess I didn't rinse the sand as good as I thought. Oh we'll looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow to see how the aquascaping came out.

I bought a water blaster 10k pump to replace the Laguna pump I was using. The water blaster is too much though even when tee'd off to feed my fuge. Back to the Laguna pump for now. Hopefully I can return the reef octopus pump.

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I see your from staten island , what part ? Glad to see your starting a tank up again , more than happy to give you a few frags i have come by after your all set up and cycled and ill see what i have for you !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: