nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Hey MR finally bought my upgrade tank. It's a 100ga rimless with starfire glass. It's made by Cadlight so now I need to make a stand for it. Any idea on the build 2x4's or 2x6's?, plywood top or open top? Any ideas?

Thnx

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
Dimensions?
DIY Stands Template and Calculator
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

For a 100g tank you could do 2x4's, I would recommend reading the above thread and following their guidelines. I used that when I built a stand for my old 60g deep blue frag tank and the thing was imo overbuilt, but gave me peace of mind.

Hope this helps, please post pictures should be a nice build!

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I would not do an open top stand for any rimless tan bcs it is not supported by the usual plastic trim of a rimmed tank.
Most rimless tanks require a slab to support it.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Stand Build

Thanks for all the information, will definitely check out that site and place a slab on top for support. The dimensions are 48L x 24W x 20H according to the manufacturer and shipping manifest tank weighs 150lbs empty.

Last edited:

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Stand Build

Ok, started my own stand build, I read through that thread on Reef Central started by "Rocket Engineer". I would like to thank all the people that replied especially the one who pointed me in that thread's direction. Still not done, but got alot done yesterday, next will come the floor and skin.

Im still undecided if I'll paint it or just leave the woodgrain visible with a clear coat. My buddy was telling me to use tiles to cover it and at the same time makes it waterproof. Im concerned with adding too much weight though. Any comments and advise welcomed.

Now some pictures

Attachments

• photo (42).JPG
    photo (42).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 246
  • photo (41).JPG
    photo (41).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 244
  • photo (45).JPG
    photo (45).JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 260
  • photo (46).JPG
    photo (46).JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 260
  • photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 265
  • photo (40).JPG
    photo (40).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 264

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Stand is looking good so far keep up the good work.
Just throwing something out there before you finish and put your sump in.
I wish I would have been told before I completed mine lol
Think about sealing the inside of the stand with something to protect the wood from water spillage ;)

~best of luck.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Stand Build

I skinned the stand today and painted the inside with Kiltz primer sealer, today I plan on applying a coat of white oil based paint to the inside and paint the outside if I get a chance. I already cut the front for two doors and one on the left side.

I've found it difficult to locate cabinet doors locally, I'm wondering if anyone is remodeling their kitchen and have old cabinets I can take the doors from. I went to Lowes and HD on Saturday but they don't carry them, I need help in regards.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo (50).JPG
    photo (50).JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 155
  • photo (49).JPG
    photo (49).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 143
  • photo (51).JPG
    photo (51).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 141
  • photo (53).JPG
    photo (53).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 139
  • photo (52).JPG
    photo (52).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Stand Build

I've been working long hours so haven't been able to update the thread. But the good news is I'm done with the stand. I'll post some pictures later tonite and the tank arrived home yesterday and is sitting on the stand empty. I'll be working on the plumbing this week and hope to transfer the livestock next week.

I have a couple of questions on the transfer, first the sand I've been advised not to transfer into the new tank. Opinions??
1)can I transfer most of the water and LR in my current tank and prevent a new cycle (new tank syndrome)? What percentage of new water and old water?
2)can I add the live stock same day?

Thanks

offdahooklikeoj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
287   0   0
"Anaerobic bacteria, bacteria that dislike oxygen will live in the deeper layers of a sand bed. Obviously if you stir up the sand they will come in contact with oxygen, thus killing the bacteria which leads to an ammonia spike." <-- found that on another forum

They say not to transfer the sand because once you disturb it/stir it up you release nitrates/phosphates/ammonia and whatever else it has been hiding in it into the water stream making your water you would transfer over useless and actually capable of doing more harm than good.

I would mix only 30-40% old water with new water
Add new sand and all live rock
Seed the sand with a cup of your old sand, from the top layer of the sand bed.
Let tank run for a day, and if parameters are correct, transfer over livestock.

Ive actually set up a tank with new water and used all the live rock (rock was transferred in water) from an established tank and had no cycle whatsoever. I don't see you having a problem.

Last edited:

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Transfer to new tank

Thanks for the useful info, I'm gonna do that. All new sand, and only a cupful of old sand. I'm also gonna change the filters in my RODI to make the new water.

Some new pictures of finished stand.

Attachments

• photo (55).JPG
    photo (55).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
  • photo (56).JPG
    photo (56).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 72
  • photo (57).JPG
    photo (57).JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (58).JPG
    photo (58).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (59).JPG
    photo (59).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 70
  • photo (60).JPG
    photo (60).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 68
  • photo (61).JPG
    photo (61).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 67
  • photo (62).JPG
    photo (62).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 71
  • photo (63).JPG
    photo (63).JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: