annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All the reefers out there who live in apartment buildings on 3rd floor or higher, what size tank you have and has it had any effect on your floor?
Im on 3rd floor and am thinking of 75gal to be on the safe side but was recently told by someone who lived on 11th floor he had a 125 and was perfectly fine. Just rtying to see how big I can go before I end up downstairs in the neighbors place :)
:groupflip

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What type of building do you live in? Is it a highrise? Made of steel & concrete?
If so your good to go basically with what ever you choose. Now if its a walk up. Basically wood building I would choose carefully. Due to weight.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade to a 75g as well. I live in a pre-war elevator building with very solid construction. Put it against a supporting wall and it'll probably be ok.

If in doubt, check with your super / mgmt co.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade to a 75g as well. I live in a pre-war elevator building with very solid construction. Put it against a supporting wall and it'll probably be ok.

If in doubt, check with your super / mgmt co.

thanks NYCEnglish!
iused to have a 90 in a pre-war building and it was still ok. My concern is that its post war elevator. i guess ill have tio ask the super again. last time he said he doesnt know about supporting walls or even which way the beams in the floor are! Arggggh....

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If your apt is made of concrete and steel you can put a 2000 gallons system. You will need to find out what type of building it is.You will need to find out if its wood which way the supports in the floor are going .

I know for a fact that the floor is wood beams, but dont know much of anything else.

Should I just got with a 75 and save myself the ehadache? or is 75 too much also?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Is it a private house or a apt building? Most apt building are made of concrete and steel especially if its a older building. I would say 5 stories and up is most likely a heavy duty material building. If your 100 percent sure its made of wood a 75 is fine. I would advise to use 3/4 plywood under the tank if your not comfortable to spread the weight. A 75 gallon is not that heavy. Its around 400 lbs or so

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Is it a private house or a apt building? Most apt building are made of concrete and steel especially if its a older building. I would say 5 stories and up is most likely a heavy duty material building. If your 100 percent sure its made of wood a 75 is fine. I would advise to use 3/4 plywood under the tank if your not comfortable to spread the weight. A 75 gallon is not that heavy. Its around 400 lbs or so

3/4 plywood it is then! would it help with uneven surface as well or should I use shims and/or foam sheet for that?

Reef Art

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you can't ask your super or the mgmt company, try dept. of buildings. Sometimes a little bit of social engineering helps. Also, propertyshark has blueprints for a few bldgs. Look for a small link by the floorplan. (must create account and login to see). Know who your board members are and make sure they don't you with bags of livestock. Some are very nosy. Good luck :)

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
A 75 gallon is not that heavy. Its around 400 lbs or so

i disagree. a 75 gal. reef with a sump and various equipment is likely going to be over 800 lbs.

guesstimate on the safe side, 1000lbs total weight /(48"x18") foot print, you're looking at approximately 167lb/sqft.
if a 170lb person doesn't fall through your floor, the tank will be fine.

putting it near a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists will also help.
generally hard wood flooring are laid perpendicular to the joists themselves. therefore putting the tank parallel to the flooring long axis should get you perpendicular to the joists also.

if you wanna be anal about it, a good stud finder will help you find the direction of the joists.

that said, i had a 125 by a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists, yet i see the vibration on top of the water every time my kids jump around the room. i ended up combining all my tanks to one system in the basement on a solid cement floor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: