jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, as most of you know, I have no patience :D I set up the 1.5 gallon last night. No i did not add corals yet, but sand rock and water were all added. i need to upgrade the lighting on the tank. the led lights are just not bright enough. they only look bright because i changed the white balance. you can see the small power head in the upper right corner, and the left has the small whisper filter it came with, am just using that for circuation as well. it runs off a small air pump.

Coral104.jpg

Coral101.jpg

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jenny taking on the pico world now....:lol: Tank looks great already. I dig the lone island loook. I would recommend using Poly-filter pads (cut it up to fit your HOB filter) and maybe a lil'carbon. That should be sufficient for the pico. That's all I run on mine. We're a last breed of reefers who's not skimming, Jenny. :sleepy: :headache: :screama: But that might change with the release of the Remora Nano...

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
leslie, we picked it up last night, he got the 55 that was for sale with the wood stand. he is gonna put a volitan and some dwarf lions in it. that is whenever we finish the second floor apartment and move up there. no reason to set up a tank now and have to move the whole thing. i also have a new 30 breeder for myself to set up up there.

coralcrazy, i have had many nanos, started with a 10, also had 5.5, 12 nano cube, and 15 gallon. this is my first pico tank though. and the remora would fit with a bit of modding to whatever you place the tank on, you would just have to set it back and attach a shelf lower than the tank so it sits right :D i could do it :)

froggie, it came with very small filter cartridges that i am running in it. that filter is tiny though. kinda neat, glad i had the small powerhead laying around.

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jenny, why don't you try upgrading the HOB to something a lil bigger and just getting rid of the powerhead. Gives your pico more room. :)

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
froggie, because of the thinness of the tank walls i would rather not try to hang anything on it. the power head is tiny, you see it? it actually puts out great flow. i think i will stick with it, it is very low profile, the widest point into the tank is one inch.

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jenniebutterfly said:
froggie, because of the thinness of the tank walls i would rather not try to hang anything on it.
you could still put a bigger hob on that tank. just support the hob from underneath the media chamber/reservoir so that it's not even touching the tank but still siphoning out and returning as if it was a normal hang-on-back.

i did something similar when i was running a remora pro on one of my sumps (10g AGA). it was really too tall to hang and i didn't feel like putting the 10g on a stand just for the remora. so it just stood upright outside the tank with a brick underneath (tabs make the base uneven).

the slightly higher drop from the return may give you a bit of splash though but it does break the surface tension that much better (i.e. surface skimming).

i'm adding a quickie paint file. last time i tried to explain a nano/pico diy (to someone else on NR) it was difficult.

Attachments

• HOB.JPG
    HOB.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 115

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
picture as promised. the candy cane in the center was found behind my rockwork in my nano cube, i had forgotten about it. lost one head, bleached one, and one is ok. i also put in a healthy two head frag of my other candy cane, and some small frags out of my 15 gallon. i also picked up three tiny hermits, one is pictured below. i still need to get smething to clean the plastic walls. i don't want to scratch it

Coral373.jpg

Coral369.jpg

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
nice work jenny! the tank looks a lot bigger than 1.5g!....which means its a SUCCESS :)

Is that a heater on the right?
This is what I did with my heater, I bought the smallest one I could find, which is the Hydor 25w or 50w @ about 7-8", and hid it behind my rocks. That way, your tank can have that clean, clean look and still maintain the big tank look :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: