nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I'm trying to decide between a 180g peninsula or a 120g peninsula. Either tank I get, I will drill with an external overflow to save all of the room inside the tank. I want the tank to be SPS, clams, and a lot of fish.

Based on the equipment list, what would you go with and why?

Equipment on hand:
MP60
3x 250watt DE MH Icecap pendants
SRO XP5000
57g to be used as a display fuge/soft coral/LPS tank (tied into the system)
Eheim 1262 on the return
150lbs LR
Going BB (using starboard with sand epoxied to it, and a very light dusting of sand loose in the tank)
2 dosing pumps for Ca & Alk
ATO - planning to get a controller and have the RODI run strait from the faucet to the tank.

This build is going to probably take me a few months, getting started at the end of June if all goes well.

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Bigger is better, but deeper isn't always better ( especially if you are not too tall, like me!)

I'm planning to set up a new system soon and I'm debating about BB or sand. Would you mind sharing your reasons for choosing BB? Thanks!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Bigger is better, but deeper isn't always better ( especially if you are not too tall, like me!)

I'm planning to set up a new system soon and I'm debating about BB or sand. Would you mind sharing your reasons for choosing BB? Thanks!

I'll usually will go with a thin layer of sand (1inch or less), but with this tank I'm planning on going all SPS and with very high flow. I hate the look of bare glass on the bottom of the tank surrounded by sand, just looks unnatural (more than just having a black piece of starboard there)

I've run both types of system and if you take into account what you're trying to have the system look like in a year, you'll be fine either way. I think it's best to cover the starboard in low growing corals (zoas, encrusting montis, maybe even caps growing upward)

Noel, :irk:

Jaa, It might be overkill,. but I already have it :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: