timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
actually been using 2 test kits to double check myself and no nothing has died yet and do not assume people lie. this is a hobby and the hobby progresses because people share experiences and info to further the hobby. so instead of arguing that it can't be done one can go along for the ride and see the progression

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
actually been using 2 test kits to double check myself and no nothing has died yet and do not assume people lie. this is a hobby and the hobby progresses because people share experiences and info to further the hobby. so instead of arguing that it can't be done one can go along for the ride and see the progression

Never argued once that it can't be done- just stated IT'S NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT.

you're starting to come off like a pompous a$$.

You're sitting here telling people to learn off of you when we have all had enough time in the hobby to know that the way you are doing it is undoubtedly, 100%, absolutely the wrong non proper way to do a new tank.

You talk about learning from other people- take a lesson and be a bit receptive- not the way you're being and YOU may learn that:

1) patience is a virtue
2) people that give you advice to try to help are not usually very kind to someone with the IKE attitude and tell them(who do a setup correctly) to learn from you.
3) PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE
4) Trying to be a teacher when you're textbooks are from the monty python library of reefing isn't the greatest thing to do.

Have fun with your bag of carbon, cycle in a bottle and overstocking at the first stage.

Although I do honestly hope you have success with the tank.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0

Then you are either using them wrong or they are both off, what you are describing is scientifically impossible... it is not just opinion. Your fish are producing ammonia, if not, call the NSF and the Nobel committee, you are about to be famous.

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
who is being a pompous a$$ I am describing how I am doing it and did not criticize others by down right saying it can not be done. So first learn to read from my initial post I used bacteria in a bottle and a dirty filter and bag of dirty charcoal from an established tank. So the tank has been seeded with the right kind of bacteria that is present in the nitrogen cycle and it is only a matter of it multiplying to fill a tank of that size. Later I added biopellets from my old established tank to fill out the nitrate bacteria that is the slowest growing part of the nitrogen cycle. SO james learn to read first before implying and making a judgement

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Even in a fully cycled tank ,the nitrogen cycle is always happening, you should have been able to see some nitrates registering but if you put biopellets in perhaps that is why you are not seeing any... this information was not put in this thread until after I posted. There exist many ways to cycle a tank, I am not judging yours, that said, having 0 NH3, NO2 and N03 without putting in what you put in is impossible, that was my point... biopellets change that and since I have no experience with them, I cannot say what you are describing is impossible anymore. Good luck, keep us posted and keep taking pics, I want to see what happens with your tank.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Getting back to the S-500.............
I like the tank, good dimensions but the 10 bulb lighting heats up the tank tremendously!
Skimmer is a bit finicky and they should have staggered the dual lighting control instead of front and back panel.

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
the tank does heat up like crazy have a clip on fan to help in the cooling and a chiller installed just in case the fan can not bring the temp down so ended having to invest in a controller. the skimmer is finicky so far hopefully it gets better when it get broken in. the lighting is ok t5 has their own benefits by not casting shadows and a more even lighting

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
have not posted in a while due to surgery. was not up to taking pictures. In case people are wondering tank parameters has been stable 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Only casualty I had was a firefish that jumped my tank since I have an open top. Coralline is beginning to grow tank is more stable than I have expected. Anybody can id that plate coral bought it cheap but lfs forgot what it is

Attachments

• 20130523_092102.jpg
    20130523_092102.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20130523_092249.jpg
    20130523_092249.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 20130523_092745.jpg
    20130523_092745.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 187

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
picked up some new corals from Pops coral they do have some of the best corals I have seen from a local dealer and the owners are friendly and fellow hobbiest

Attachments

• 20130601_095826.jpg
    20130601_095826.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20130601_100137.jpg
    20130601_100137.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 159

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: