TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I have been into this hobby only for a couple of months, but have done a lot of research and I love it a lot. I'm located on Long Island so I'm glad I found this forum since it seems more local for me.

I started this tank around when Sandy happened. I lost some fish but don't we all at some point. It was very upsetting. My tank has matured since then and I have done so much research and on other forums that really helped me out.

I have a handful of corals, a pair of snowflake clowns, a diamond sifting goby, yellow eye tang, and a recent addition of a barletts anthias. Currently I'm running a 4 bulb t5 HO however I am not getting the growth out of my lps that I should have bc of the poor lighting so I just upgraded to 2 LED fixtures. Once they arrive I'll be hanging them and acclimating my corals to the new fixtures.

Pics to come of my build. Any feedback/questions are obviously welcome. Thanks

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Here are some pics I took recently on my phone not sure how they'll turn out on here.

ImageUploadedByReefs1369062331.384826.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062342.715669.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062352.501408.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062391.551632.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062404.018037.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062414.765687.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062423.882300.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062433.250884.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062451.782395.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062460.901534.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062473.799840.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062482.933310.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062490.000474.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062498.815752.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062551.265683.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062566.567950.jpgImageUploadedByReefs1369062578.815872.jpg

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
it was so nice out yesterday here on long island. My bedroom where the tank is located faces the front of the house. My room bakes in the summer time and my pops would kill me if I had my air conditioner running all day. I finally put my ac in last night because it was so uncomfortable. However, when I got home from work, my tank was almost at 90*!!!! It was around 87-88*F. I quickly turned my whites off and just ran the 2 blues for my t5 fixture since that generates a lot of heat. I blew a fan ontop of the tank to try and keep it as cool as possible - also topped off w/ rodi water that was cooler than what the tank said. I was so scared I was going to lose life in there. As of this morning everythings ok and with my ac on all night the tank was back down to 80* but that 7-8* is a huge change for less than 24 hours even though it was gradual. I know the LEDs are going to run much cooler - but it was only like 75-80* out yesterday. I can't imagine what's going to happen when it hits 90-100*. It looks like I'm going to have to invest in a chiller, something I didn't want to spend $$ on.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summertime is a always a pain. I'll cut my lights out during the afternoon rather than add heat the tank on an already hot day. When your dad sees the electric bill from running the chiller it won't be much better. I'd run the ac during the day and open the windows at night.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Summertime is a always a pain. I'll cut my lights out during the afternoon rather than add heat the tank on an already hot day. When your dad sees the electric bill from running the chiller it won't be much better. I'd run the ac during the day and open the windows at night.

Thanks. I'll have to wait and see what happens. I wish there was a cheaper more efficient way to cool down tanks.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I am interested in getting a wrasse for my reef tank. Many I have researched are not reef or invert safe. Besides a 6 line wrasse - what other wrasses can I get for my 55g?

Also - has anyone had success with keeping a mandarin well fed w/ frozen foods? The website for tropical island in Deer park states their mandarins eat prepared foods. I'm hesitant because I used to have one that did not survive even though I had a pretty well pod population but my params were all out of wack due to a failure of an rodi unit I was using at the time.

Thanks! Better pics to come tomorrow!

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
melanarus wrasse absolute best reef wrasse. I also have a radiant. both great fish they may grab a hermit every once in a while if you don't feed enough. but I got lucky that the two don't fight being from the same family.i also wanted to ask is your tank in direct sunlight that could cause a kind of green house effect and make it very hot also causes mass algae growth

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses will need a tight fitting cover. Haleochores wrasses may get a bit large for a 55g. There are many kewl flasher and fairy wrasses. I've never studied up on possum and mystery wrasses but they seem to be the more popular easier going of the Psuedocheilinus sp.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
melunarus and radiant wrasses only need 50 gal and its been known that they could be kept in tanks as small as 30 gal if not over crowded. Also most haleochores wrasses burrow in the sand for shelter witch makes it almost impossible for them to jump out. Unlike flashers who love to carpet dive. there are plenty of wrasses out there but you wont find one as beautiful and reef worthy im telling you read up some more on them great fish

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Thanks. I was looking at the melanarus wrasse when I was in trop island in Deer park. They have one in their display tank right as you walk in and the guy said that he was nipping at corals too. That's why I passed. I'll look into it though.

No, my tank is not in direct sunlight. But my room gets so hot in the summer.

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres sp. are tops on my list of very kewl fishes. Hold your hand up in the bang position thumb straight up; the melan measures from the front of your thumb to the tip of your finger without the tail. I'll say again that I think it's about as doable as one of the Zebrasoma sp. tangs in 55, but they do seem a wee bit more rock oriented. Keep it well fed and plan on replacing snails as they will eat those that fall.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I wouldn't say its impossible but more likely it was nipping at a copepod or something it thought was food. but my friend had a tang that destroyed his lps tank, the only fish in the tank, no fish are 100% reef safe lol its all about personality in my case the wrasse never touched a snail and ive heard stories of them slamming snails on rocks to stun them and sucking em out escargot maybe mhhh...

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
and yes some of the halichoeres like banana wrasses or Christmas wrasses reach monsterous size but a melanurus only reaches six inches in length im sure any fish would want a bigger tank who doesn't want a mansion

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
So I'm still inquiring about the media reactor I posted above. I am going to test my tank this weekend so if I notice any parameters low I will then need to dose. How does it work? Never had one before.

I also have 1-2, 5 gallon buckets of what was once live rock I got a couple months ago. It's going to smell really bad it's sealed in the bucket but I was wondering what's the best way to get it back and safe for the tank? Should I lay it outside in the sun to let it fully dry and then throw it in a brute pail with a powerhead and heater with old tank water from water changes and let it re-cure. How do I know when it's done? Thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: