duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So picked up my new 180 yesterday and this will be a very long upgrade so look out Tony i may beat you for longest build LMAO. So far all i have is the tank :) Its sitting in my garage looking pretty sad LOL. I will be using most of my old equipment from my old setup since i over sized everything in my old setup. Im thinking the only things i will need is 80lbs of rock,1 more AI sol blue,a external pump,2 40 breeders and another heater and that should get it up and running. Of course there will be extras i will need but that will come as it comes. Im still un-decided on how to set it up. I am most likely going to do a basement sump setup. As for the stand,since its not going in a big room i was thinking of doing the stand steel so i can make the bottom wide open as to not look cluttered in my man cave. Thinking 4 legs and skin it all with finished wood. Not sure if i should do it with I beams or tube steal. I think I beams will be stronger so i can use only 4 legs what do you think? As for the piping it will be strapped inside either the I beam and covered with the wood skin or if i use tube steel it will be put inside the tube steel itself. Looking for ideas guys and gals :)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I wont be able to make it where there is only 4 legs using wood.I want it to look open. The prices arent to bad for steel just looked it up. 3X3 tube steel 6 ft is 25 bucks and 3X3 I beam 6ft is about the same

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Well your not going to see the steel. If i do it in steel it will be skinned with wood. i just want it for the strength so it can be wide open underneath. I was thinking steel frame sitting on 2 2x6 planks so the weight goes across 3 floor joists. On the legs there will be a 6x6 steel plate for the feet. Not sure if i will need kickers from the leg to the underside of frame but will def add some steel from leg to leg for support so the legs dont move. The stand will look like its made out of wood

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: