ottom25

learning member
Rating - 91.7%
33   3   0
So when I started with my first saltwater tank on october 2012 I started with a 55 gallon tank and truth be told was a disaster I screwed up the salinty level and pretty much my starter damsel all passed .T_T. after fixing up my salinity level.

Everything seem fine and two months later I upgraded to a 75 gallon tank and stand for a really good price.
That was when my customer hit me up about m.r and after that I was all up in it. So I ended up doing the stupid mistake of buying corals without having a sump and everything it needed long story short I ended up having a hydroids problem killed of the hydroids then my corals ended up dying.

So around june once again I finally get a break I purchased from a customer a 90 gallon reef ready tank. So here is were I need help from you guys not that long ago I purchased a sump from a m.r member now I need to know what is the return sump I should get for it.
My friend said that I need to measure from the floor to the tank honestly I dunno why I had to do that but its was around 4 to 5 ft in height another thing i want to know what is the return pump gph suppose to be.

I read on some peoples comments that the ehiem pump model 1260 was good for a 90 gallon tank and the gph on it is 635 but am hearing from other people that i should do alot more research on it another person is telling me i need to go higher then that and i just recently got a guy who said that i can do a maxijet 1200.

I want to hear you guys opinion I will send pics on what my tank looks light now the sump and i would really appreciate all of your help thank you.

Attachments

• IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 442
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 443

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
wow, it sounds like youve been going through some tough times with your tanks.

I cant help with this topic, but I am sorry to hear that your tanks ddnt work out.
good luck!!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
When I picked up my first pump, I went higher than what my tank needed it. The recommended formula is tank size times 10... Sample my tank is 75 gallons and my sump is 30 I went with 1100 gph pump. And ( knock on wood) is been working fine for a year now. So I would go for a 1200 to 1400 gph pump in your case, remember it has to pump all that water pressure up to your tank. You need something on the stronger side. My 2 cents, hope it helps. I'm not an expert nor I play one on tv... Hee hee.

Last edited:

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity head preasure is measured from water surface to water surface. One must also figure in losses due to friction; this is a calculation done by multiplying the length of actual pipe by the its friction loss per hundred feet at a specific flow rate. The equivelent length of all fittings must also be added to the measured length. There are calculators that do this; I like doing it myself. It is surprising how much bigger a pipes area/volume becomes and it flow capasity increases as its diameter increases! Take this info to the pump's head loss chart and pick you best pump. I wouldn't go under 550gph for a 90 Your drains will determine what you max flow will be.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Gravity head preasure is measured from water surface to water surface. One must also figure in losses due to friction; this is a calculation done by multiplying the length of actual pipe by the its friction loss per hundred feet at a specific flow rate. The equivelent length of all fittings must also be added to the measured length. There are calculators that do this; I like doing it myself. It is surprising how much bigger a pipes area/volume becomes and it flow capasity increases as its diameter increases! Take this info to the pump's head loss chart and pick you best pump. I wouldn't go under 550gph for a 90 Your drains will determine what you max flow will be.

Exactly!!

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions vary. 6x is my bottom end; it will leave room for the plumbing to become restricted with time. You probably want to at least try to match your skimmers turnover, for me it's as much about energy use as it is giving the waste in suspension a good chance of going down the drain. Iif I can safely as far as the drain capacity goes add more flow from my main pump without adding very many watts to the monthly operating cost that's what I try to do.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: