BigEarsNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few weeks ago I purchased this aquarium from someone else. I am newbie and this is my first saltwater setup, but it appears the tank was not cared for, at least in the end.

I noticed an orange/rust color stain in the bottom corners in the silicone. Over the past couple of weeks, it seems like the stain is growing. It does not rub off or scratch off.

Does anyone know what this is?
Is there any need to be concerned?
It doesn't appear to compromise my seal, but if it continues to grow I assume all the silicone in the tank will eventually by orange - not really what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or recommendations will help. The people at Deep Blue (it is DP 57G tank) suggested it may be diatoms. If that is the case - is there anything I can do to stop it or reverse it?

I've tested my water level frequently over the past few weeks and everything seems to be fine. I'm having a hard time keeping the tank under 80 degrees, am still vacuuming the waste from the sand, have a bit of ditrus growing - other than that things seem to be in check.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20130715_102501.jpg
    20130715_102501.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: