allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Got the tank sanded and polished and moved into the dining room to start plumbing. Thought I would update with some pics. Now that the tank is sitting in the dining room near the current 180 display, it really does look like a Beast. Am excited to get the plumbing done so I can stage the switch over to the new tank which will go where the 180 is sitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20131006_111257_180-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131006_111257_180-sm.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_20131006_111247_274-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131006_111247_274-sm.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_20131006_111313_381-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131006_111313_381-sm.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 620

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer Plan for Upgrade

Still working on the details, but will be doing all the plumbing but the final hook up while the Beast is in its temporary spot. When everything is ready, have some local Reefers lined up to help me temporarily move livestock to several storage troughs in order to break down the display tank, slide it out of the way, then slide the new tank in place and hooked up to all the connections. Then its simply a matter of refilling and then moving livestock back. The plan would be to have everything staged so that the swap could happen over a weekend. Since the existing sump and fuge will continue to support the new tank, all the live rock in the sump should help carry the bioload of a new sand bed in the new display tank. I keep toying with the idea of transferring the existing sand bed over, and adding a lot of filtering media to absorb nitrates, but then also think thats a really bad idea. I do plan to have an Inland Saw to cut some of the corals from their current mounts so that aquascaping will be easier (note cut from mounts, not frag). I am installing an MRC external skimmer along with the Dolphin return pump to the sump next weekend, so that everything will be appropriately sized for the new system when Im ready for the transfer. Another local reefer has suggested we set up his digital video camera in the living room to record the entire transfer which I am planning on doing. May set it up so its available in real time to actually watch our progress. Am definitely open to any suggestions and any help if folks would like to join us once I schedule the transfer date.

What's your plan for swapping the 180?
Project is coming along nicely

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added details

I forgot to say, that although the tank has been sanded and buffed, that its still my intent for one last buffing once I have finished the rough in plumbing before the swap occurs. Also need to build a taller mount for the rails for my radion lights. Since that room has a pressed tin ceiling, I really dont want anything mounted to it, so I built an aluminum post support system to run the cables supporting rails for 4 radion lights on the present system which works well and looks clean without a hood. Since I have only been running the radions at 60% on the current system, should be close on light for the larger tank but will evaluate if i need one additional light once its up and running. Am going to start with my existing tunze pumps, but do want to swap them out over time with the wireless ecotech pumps.

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Subscribed and following along. Skimmed a lot so i apologize for duplicate questions

- Can you floor handle that much weight? have you reinforced the floor beams?

- What type of RO/DI unit will you be using with this monstrosity

- What size sump will you be using? are you going external refugium again?

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floor was over-reinforced when I upgraded to the 180. Most of the weight sits on a 30" thick stone wall that was re-mortared as part of the preparation for the tank. I have sistered the floor joists and provided enhanced reinforcement for the beam and posts. Will post some pics of the reinforcements, sump and fuge. The sump is currently 125 gallons and the fuge is 40 gallons. Will be changing from an internal reef octopus skimmer to an external MRC 48" dual skimmer. Currently have a 6 stage RO/DI that makes water on demand storing it in a 65 gallon holding tank, with a second 65 gallon holding tank for made up salt water. Plan to add a 275 gallon RO/DI holding tank and use both 65 gallon tanks for made up salt water. Make up water is currently handled automatically with float switches controlled by my Apex Controller.

Subscribed and following along. Skimmed a lot so i apologize for duplicate questions

- Can you floor handle that much weight? have you reinforced the floor beams?

- What type of RO/DI unit will you be using with this monstrosity

- What size sump will you be using? are you going external refugium again?

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer

Today picked up a 48" MRC recirculating protein skimmer and brought it home. Have to get it cleaned up and figure out the plumbing, but thats the last major part needed to get the Beast operating. Now just have to finish up the plumbing. Will post some pics later this weekend.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates

Will get some pics of the sump and the new skimmer tonight or tomorrow. The skimmer is actually an MTC so now that I have it and am cleaning it up, can look at possible upgrades to it by adding beckett air valves or other options. It will at least get me going until I can see if I would like something better. Am working on a re-design of manifold to allow more space above the sump and make it easier for adjusting. Will make sense when you see the pics. Am making progress slowly, but know its better to do it right then rush and make mistakes. Taking time has also allowed me to rethink options on things like the manifold. Once I am able to pull my current pump, its gotta go to dealer since it really sounds like the bearings are bad.

Any pics of sump

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump

Here are a couple pics of the current sump and the new skimmer. Just test drove the skimmer with great results. I think I am going to add 2 beckett air valves on the recirculating lines to increase the amount of air bubbles, but even without that, it runs great and produces a decent head of bubbles in the chambers. Since I am going to be feeding it off the manifold, it will actually draw less power than my current reef octopus.

Attachments

• IMG_20131016_185153_347-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131016_185153_347-sm.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20131016_185206_158-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131016_185206_158-sm.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20131016_185218_839-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131016_185218_839-sm.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20131016_185245_988-sm.jpg
    IMG_20131016_185245_988-sm.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 488

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump

Just saw the update to your thread about starting your 400 build and needing sump. I got this sump from tanks-depot. The great thing is that its all food grade and nothing can stick to it at all. It's a chem tank (125 gallons) that I poly welded partitions into to make it a 3 chamber sump (yes I bought a poly plastic welder and welding rod). I have it full of live rock, and with the new set up will be removing the reef octopus skimmer from the sump to add more rock and water volume. The frame around the sump supports the tank and adds structural support for the display tank located in the dining room directly above it. I built the shelf above the sump to allow a different flow rate for the fuge which is fed off the display tank drain, and then drains into the return pump section of the sump. I do plan on moving the manifold from directly above the sump to the side of the rack to allow more space and cleaner water flow.
Any pics of sump

Last edited:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Counting down the days till I switch tanks over to the BEAST. Have been working on getting everything lined up and ready for the transfer. Am now, just taking a break from installing a new dolphin amp master return pump, upgrade current manifold to 2 inches with 6 outlets, upgraded main return line to 2 inches that will feed 4- 3/4 inch returns in new tank, upgraded main drain to 2 inches that will take 4- 1inch drains from new tank, and insulated sump. Have a few more pipe cuts to make and then joints to glue, then its time for it to dry before pressure testing. Hopefully all the joint are solid. I did make provisions in the new drains into the sump to add socks, but had taken them off my old tank. Will see how it goes. Will be removing my protein skimmer from the sump, since the new monster skimmer is external and is now fully plumbed into the system. This will make room for more live rock in the sump, so will be paying a visit to a LFS to get some additional live rock. With making all these changes now, when I go to switch tanks, it will simply be unscrewing a couple of unions (one for supply and one for drain), sliding new tank into place and then attaching the unions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: