ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Quick question

I got this bulkhead from a lfs (reef encounters to be exact) but the nut for the dry side has a little chip as shown below

I don't think it will be an issue but if anyone can chime in please do so. It seats evenly on the dry side. Don't mind going to buy another b/h

F244CE1A-EA2B-4EB3-8B2F-C9BD07B95918-158-000000701EBE8610_zps0ca4974c.jpg

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks thirty6.

Now onto hanging the light.. I purchased a tv wall mount to hang the radion and this mount is about 10 pounds and I'm guessing the radion is about a couple of pounds let's say 2.

Would 65lb ez wall anchors be enough or should I go for more margin of error? Since this mount is 20" off of the wall let's say 1.67 feet and the total weight is about 12 pounds I'm looking at 20 pounds of torque (1.67' x 12 pounds)

I have anchors that hold up to 150 pounds but they don't screw out of the wall for easy patch up when I decide I want to change it up.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Finally set this tank up...but my iphone4 takes not so great pics...need to take pics with the slr but I need a tutorial. Can never catch true colors or at least come close.

I have to say I'm very pleased with reefoman's quality on his tank and I also want to thank Kingator for helping me out with a dremel by drilling out the return hole to 1/2".

Also reefoman was great to deal with any questions I had.

Finally the stand built by tttony is amazing as well. It's very heavy duty and looks great as well.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
its your tank you do what you want with it. you asked for recommendations and i gave you a good one. in the end its your house and your tank ;).. shimming is not a big deal i dont know why you are stressing over how much of a pain in the but it is, cause its not :biggrin: goodluck buddy

Tony scoots: You were right... Shimming was easier than I thought it would be...turned out great...nice and level.

Kept the tank in the original location

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks Guys.....A team effort here no doubt.

That skimmer I got from you Welmer is awesome. Breaking in very nicely. I still need to build a proper skimmer stand. The tunzes are great as well but thinking of placing the mp10 I have on the right side since I have a battery backup until I get a sealed lead acid battery and the safety connector for the tunzes.

Debating on whether I should get a Bubble Tip Anemone. Have too much in my tank right now that can get stung so I need to clear out some stuff if I go that route.

Also battling a very small cyano issue. Not sure why as I did a 100% water change when I set this tank up and am running phosban and carbon. It only appears in very little sections on certain rocks. My conclusion is that I need to increase flow to those areas or maybe need to replace my RO filter even though my inline reads about 5-6 ppm TDS after RO. Need to measure incoming water to see what my rejection rate is.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Added 3 more fish for a total of 7. I'm pretty much maxed out on the fish in this tank. Occupants include (1) Saddleback Clownfish (3) Anthias (2) Talbot Damels (1) Blue Green Chromis. Am trying to see if I can pick up a mated pair of clowns but need to find the saddleback a new home.

Also going to pick up a vertex alpha omega 130 skimmer this week just to test it out and see how it compares to the vertex IN-100 I have with the ATB Mini Airstar PSK-1000 pump.

Skimmer works great but will skim for a day or two and then under produce so I think I am going to hold onto this skimmer for a future tank upgrade.

Next steps include: Dosing Kalkwasser through ATO and picking up a PM-1 module for PH monitoring and control. Also need to pick up some test kits for Ca, Alk, Mag and a good test kit for Nitrates and some reagant for a hanna low range phosphate meter.

What are recommendations for easy to use test kits these days? Red Sea, Elos, Salifert? Thinking of some of the hanna checkers as well.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Haven't updated this thread in a while. Would like to get an opinion of my next course of action for the tank.

I have a bit of a bubble algae infestation. Must have come in on a frag. Not every rock has some but it has spread. I've taken the rock out of the tank scraped off the bubble algae with a razor blade but it still comes back.

Thinking of maybe shutting down my tank and restarting and replacing every single piece of rock but not sure if this will help since if I don't get everything it could still spread elsewhere. It's not that bad but every rock has about maybe 3 or 4 small polyps on once section. Emerald crabs may or may not eat it and even if they do it will still spread.

It's not obvious from afar but if you look closely you'll see a bit here (small portion) and there on a majority of the rocks. Corals are doing great and I've switched to redsea coral pro salt and liking it so far. Also dosing kalk via ATO. Have to get my parameters up Ca, Alk, Mag. For a while I was ignoring the tank but am back to regular maintenance.

Advice welcomed Algae X? Heard it also gets rid of bubble algae with lights out for 2-3 days.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Going to purchase a few emeralds to keep the population under control and get rid of a few rocks. For some reason one of my rocks has a build up of hair algae. All other rocks are fine so off it goes out of my tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: