FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Finally going ahead and setting up a tank thread. :meow:

I've owned I don't how many tanks by now but I'm finally settled on this size for most of this year and next. The tank is only about a month or two old but the rock and livestock are quite a bit older.

Vital Stats:

65 gallon SCAquariums Rimless with .5" and 1" bulkheads, 32x24x20
Eshopps RS-200 Sump

Super Reef Octopus XP1000sss Skimmer
Rio 2100 Return Pump
Cobalt 100w Neotherm
Jager 150w

ATI Sunpower 8 Bulb
Hagen GLO Single bulb T5

Neptune Full Apex + 2x EB8
MP10ES
Jebao WP-25
Jebao WP-25

Marine Magic 3 Pump Doser
Santa Monica HOG1x Algae Scrubber

2x Cooling Fan Arrays

11/5/2013

2TwXqjz.jpg

4WPKwC7.jpg

4lzcAIf.jpg

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
About 3 months. Started him out on live blackworms then he started eating everything. He even eats hikari bloodworms. I wish he would eat pellets at some point but I feed the tank mysis cubes at least once a day.

Sand is hawaiian black live sand from I think carib.

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Couple of updates.

My aquascaping redo ended in disaster. Not only did adding the giant arch make my tank look overstuffed, I also broke apart my Purple Bonsai colony into several frags by accident. Ugh. I ended up actually moving some rock out and I might actually move out more stuff.

I'm going to try to move the tank towards more of a just few SPS colonies on the bonsai rocks and clear the tank of LPS. This will give the tank a more elegant simpler more sparse theme that I might want. I would have to start a new LPS dominated tank though and that might be best. LPS do not enjoy the amount of flow I'm running here.

I also removed my Hog1x ATS and went with a home brewed one. I will modify it a bit more when I see how this things does. The maker went with 2 RB's for some reason instead of all reds.

I may also be adding ozone. I've taken my Turbotwist offline to simplify my plumbing and I definitely notice a bit less skimmer output and my water is not nearly as clear as when I had UV running.

Here it is this today...

Yucky giant rock: http://i.imgur.com/g50KsR3.jpg

As it is today...

nRRoiO2.jpg

7dfdwkR.jpg

Pretty ATS colors

03IYfRo.jpg

Last edited:

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Just a small ad on how much I like my Apex. The Apex has become the most critical piece of reefing equipment I own. The VDM ports are awesome since they'll dim LEDs without controllers and they do an awesome job on the WP-25 and Tunze pumps. I also recently purchased the breakout module so that I have float switches hooked up in my remote ATO to email me when I only have a few gallons left, I have 2 in my overflow to let me know if there's an obstruction in my drain and it automatically shuts off the pump. I also put a float switch in my skim mate container so it shuts off the skimmer when full. I also have a magnetic switch hooked up to my stand doors so it automatically turns on my stand light when I open the door, kinda simple but slick. I also have it hooked up to let me know if someone opened the stand when I'm not there if I go on vacation.

I also purchased the leak detection module as an extra extra layer of safety and I put it right next to my skimmer and behind the aquarium just in case.

My tank fans are also automatically controlled by the Apex and so are my T5s and heaters. The only thing I didn't put on there is my 3 part dosing. I want that to be on a separate system just in case a single point of failure won't absolutely kill me.

I also have some webcams hooked up and it's great you can incorporate the stream into the Apex dashboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-11-18 11.03.56.jpg
    Screenshot 2013-11-18 11.03.56.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 384

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: