Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Let me start by saying I've had fish my whole life. Love the hobby! Have not had salt water for a number of years, but always wanted a reef tank so now the time. I bought 2 tanks in the past month wife didn't want the red sea max 250 I bought up stairs, so I got a rsm 130d. I'm going to start the 130 first hoping to fill with water by monday. I know I read about going big first cause the extra work that gose into the smaller tanks. But I'm looking at it as if I like doing the work ill keep that upstairs for all to see then start the bigger one later down stairs.

What I got for the 130d now is 50lbs of dry rock fron marocs. Intank media rack and 9002 skimmer with upgraded cup. What I'm trying to do now is how to cycle it. Dont want to put any fish in to do so cause it just not right. Don't want to seed it due to the chance of pest. I'm going to use live sand. Don't know how much yet. I want to cycle the tank while I'm waiting for my led's from steves leds. What is the best way for me to cycle my tank? In no rush don't care if it take 4-8 weeks to cycle please help.

Will post pics once I start the tank

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Filling it up can't wait!!!! Sorry for the crapy photo it's off my iPad once it's running ill use the dslr!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 428

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Thank u! I'm using dr.Tim's to do my cycle. I hoping to get couple of clown fish before Christmas if the cycle is done. From what I'm reading and hearing using dr. Tim's it possible to cyle in 10 days or so. Anyone one else used dr. Tim's and was able to get fish in a short amount of time?

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats

Congrats!!!! Your starting on the great adventure of owning and maintaining a salt water tank. No one commented or asked how deep your sand bed is. If your planning to have the sand help filter the water, it needs to be at least 4 inches thick, otherwise you would plan to clean it periodically. Like others have said, dont rush things. Water parameters are looking good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: