allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With almost 700 gallons of water in my large system (450 gallon display, 125 gallon sump, 40 gallon fuge, 32 gallons in 4' tall dual tube updraft protein skimmer, 10 gallons in calcium reactor's dual chambers, not counting GFO and carbon reactors plus pumps and pipes), you would think keeping the water cool would be easy. My sump is located in the basement as is most of the equipment. I light the tank with 4 ecotech LEDs. AC in the house is set so the ambient air never rises above 76 degrees. Tonight I hooked the chiller up since the temp in the tank has consistently for the past week been around 82 degrees, which is the max I ever want the tank to get to (ideally never more than 80). I thought maybe one of my controllers or the Apex might be malfunctioning, but all checks out. I even disconnected all the heaters to insure that wasn't the cause of the problem. The only thing I have not done is eliminate any transfer of radiant heat from a southern facing window that sits behind the tank (but that never affect my 180 gallon system like this). Thats next on my list, but still at a loss how a tank sitting in a room typically at 74 degrees, with half the water in the basement which has a temp of 65 degrees, can get as warm as it is. I have even checked the tunze circulating pumps and the dolphin return pump and none are that hot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: