dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all - I'm going to be converting my 29 gallon freshwater tank to salt - I'm referring to it as the home tank because I also have a 12 gallon aquapod in my classroom (I'm a teacher). The school tank has done pretty well over the last year.

I've ordered 30 lbs of dry rock plus a few small pieces of live rock as well as a 40 lbs bag of live sand. I'm going to be using a tunze 6025 for circulation.

For now, while we cycle, I'm going to keep the lights off, and then maybe when we get going, I'm going to replace the t8 bulb with a Corallife 50/50 bulb. This is going to be FOWLR for a while so I'm not too concerned about lighting. I'm thinking eventually about using the new Fluval marine led light as it is cheap and probably just fine for soft coral which is all I'll be aspiring to.

No sump - can't swing that yet. I'm going to be moving in a year so the plan is to run this tank for a year and then do larger upgrades when we move.

Any suggestions for cycling? I was going to do the shrimp thing but I was suggested biospira by a guy at Maximum Reef in Yonkers today. Any experience?

I've got RODI, test kit, refractometer, tds meter, etc from the school tank that I will just take back and forth as needed.

I use a Nano Remora skimmer on the school tank and I think it works pretty well - I was thinking about the Remora Pro S for the home tank. Overrated so it will be good for the 1 year out upgrade. Other suggestions?

I'll post pictures as I go, basically just looking for feedback and community! Thanks!

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I tore down and cleaned the tank. Running Rodi into it now, very slow!

Salt comes Wednesday and the rock and sand later in the week. Pump should come late this week too. Hopefully by the weekend we'll start cycling.

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping up

Well, I didn't post here for a while, but things are good in the 55 gallon tank. The 29 turned into a 55, got my lights from Ocean Revive, remora skimmer, tunze osmolator nano, an aquatop UV sterilizer, DA reefkeeper lite, a JBJ cooling fan, rock, sand, clown fish, peppermint shrimp, assorted cuc, etc.

I had an ich problem and I just completed a 9.5 week fallow period. The manager today at Absolutely fish told me that there was no need to keep it fallow any longer... The peppermint shrimp are meant to manage a very minor aptasia problem. We'll see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: