jeromeit

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hi Greg the 30 gal conical setteling tank is plumed right from the tank overflow to the setteling tank, it is designed to catch detritus and provide a easy way to remove it from the systum before it settles in the sump. This along with my tank being bare bottom helps me keep an eye on my nutrients as a posed to not knowing what is hiding in a sand bed.

Bear bottom? Didn't even think it! What are you using as the fake substrate?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Froggy looks happy, how is the blue ridge doing. I'm gonna want a frag of that sinulara up front one of these days. What a great looking setup man! You've really made a non SPS tank look phenomenal. Think I gotta get me some of that branch rock! and you've got great diversity.

Thanks man the Blue ridge is dooing well.
I'm really enjoying the movement in my tank and I'm have my fun dooing my under water Feng shui gardening ;)

thefuz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have any closeups of the starboard (please!)? I'm thinking of going this route on my 250 upgrade but I have a weird situation. The tank is eurobraced on the bottom also (3" all around with 1/2" glass) so I need to think about whether or not I'm going to use starboard in the center and then either leave the edges empty or try to add in more starboard to cover it completely. I'm planning on loading up SPS like my current 90 so want to forego the substrate for the first run. Don't want rock sitting on bare glass though.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
If it was me I would leave the spacing around the edge, this is were the detritus is going to collect and make it easyer to siphon out.
I went with a 1" all the way around with my first tank and it was perfect but on my current tank I only went with a 1/4" all the way around and I can definetly tell you the larger spacing was easyer to siphon out.
The one thing I will recomend is you go with the 3/4" thickness it is more flat and heavier.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Good points, thanks. I wonder if they can mill it for me... make part of it 3/4 and part 1/4 but all one piece. Custom! This hobby - yeesh!!

Does the floor end up mostly coraline or mottled?

Not sure but they do have a great customer service so it wouldn't hurt to ask but again IMOP I would leave the bigger space it will all eventually get covered by coraline ;)

I took some quick cell phone pics.
22B7E174-B716-4F58-A64A-10880F833871_zps2regsmpq.jpg

FF7E803C-3D85-49F4-A12A-E1CA99A61B55_zps7nuycu1i.jpg

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn?t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn?t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the ?real reefers?
Now don?t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: