Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So, I've met a bunch of you at various MR activities (drinks at Cedar, Tank Girl's party, and most recently at the Fall Frag Swap - which was so much fun, btw) and everyone keeps telling me I should start a tank thread. And thus, though I have no fish and no invertebrates and my only two coral frags are currently being housed in digitalreefer's tank, I thought I would oblige.

Everyone here at MR has been really invaluable as far as advice and help with various things for my set up. I think the only things I didn't get from an MR member are the actual tanks, a couple of test kits, and my RO/DI. So a huge thanks to all of you.

Here is the bare bones of my set up:

- Tank is 29g w/ 10g sump
- custom built hood and stand (courtesy digitalreefer and drilling courtesy bad_coffee - thanks guys! :) )
- AquaC EV 120 skimmer
- PC lighting - 65W 10K and 65W actinic (not planning on any SPS corals) and I may upgrade eventually to 2 50/50 bulbs.
- 32lbs live rock (hand picked, thanks Sean!)

268615705_2722f42a22.jpg

So far the hood has been built. it has been stained since this photo was taken.

268615707_9c6a2f8836.jpg

Eric (digitalreefer) in a rare industrious moment. (I was urged to include "action shots" by some members at Leslie's party)

268615688_d5fed2c2ea.jpg

I'm still trying to convince Claudius that fish are friends, not food!! (Don't worry, I'll thoroughly clean the tank before I put any water.)

I'm hoping to get the tank cycling as soon as my RO/DI shows up in the mail. And I'm also looking forward to my extra pure drinking water.

More pics as works continues. :)

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
liisa you can upload or attach the pics fromyour desk top to our server.

to attach go to the "go advanced" option and click the paperclip icon, pic the photos you want to upload then click the same icon again to attach them.

to place the pics on our server go to the photo gallery link and then click upload, choose your photos, select the place in members folder option then upload. go to your folder and then use the BB links to place in your threads. call me if that does not make sense :P

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Looking good so far.

How about some updated pics! when I was there the top was stained! in the *hot* action shot with eric, it's not done yet!

And here you go leslie! (does the cat look familiar?)

Attachments

• bansaicat.jpg
    bansaicat.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,352
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Updates!

Okay, a few updated photographs of the tank setup... still no fish, but I don't feel too bad about how long it's taken. I'll still probably have fish/coral in my tank before Brett. :)

292423346_e7c4b0fe57.jpg

292423353_20bead0bfe.jpg

Here is the current tank setup - we're staining and plumbing and putting a door on this baby this week/end.

292423343_e8d1ceeb48.jpg

Brett made this helpful label for me when he drilled the tank. Clearly, he can't spell for sht. (Also, Claudius has ignored this helpful advice.)

292423330_68780b8235.jpg

Catfish?
(This one is for you, Leslie!)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
New Update!

My tank is finally up and actually running!

294932574_0a478c3bf1.jpg

Here is a (admittedly poor) shot of the plumbing that I stitched together from two photos.

294934357_fb522f185f.jpg

Testing the returns - the tank finally has water!

294932563_895d65a770.jpg

Here's my original rockwork with 32 lbs of liverock from Aquatic Creations. I picked this up at the frag swap and it has been happily curing in Eric's frag tank for just under a month now.

294932569_4a7bb490d4.jpg

I decided that I wanted just a little more rock forthe top lefthand corner, so I picked up one more piece at H20 today. Also, you can see that the water has cleared up considerably from yesterday when the previous photo was taken.

294932561_42c28e82a9.jpg

I have a ton of hitchhikers on my rock. One of my rocks has a bunch of fan worms on it, and one has some tiny zoanthids (I think). Eric had to put two of my piece of liverock into Gordon's tank because there was no more room in his QT. I grabbed the rock out of his tank so quickly, I didn't notice this little hitchhiker. Oh well, mine now. :) (PS: Gordon is looking less and less friendly by the day.) I also have a bunch of brittle microstars from Eric's tank.

294932562_7cc2fa312a.jpg

It's like he knows what's going to go in there. Kitty TV, coming soon to an aquarium near you.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
elly belly,

my bw cat does the same thing. he is obesessed with the tank and runs from one side to the other so that he doesn't miss anything!!!

P

Pedro

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
On the plumbing, why no unions from the bulkheads on down?

Otherwise, it looks good. I can only imagine how the cat will react when the fish are in, lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: