Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Courtesy of Vince and Shaun from Coral Theory. Early stages:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495586.272963.jpg

G_MONEY

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I need to figure out a way to photograph the tank with the blue lamps it has and not have it look like a Tim Burton movie gone wrong.

These are the specs:

Red Sea Max 400-S

Replaced the stock skimmer with a Reef Octopus Classic 200 Space Saver skimmer

Maxspect Gyre

2 Phosban 150: 1 for Carbon and 1 for Ferric Oxide

Doser One Evolution

Replaced the center light strip with an LED upgrade

Starting off with 40 lbs of live sand and 70 lbs of Live Reef Rock.

Loving the Live Reef Rock. Comes out of the box ready to go!

Thanks to the guys from Coral Theory who spent nearly 6 hours bringing it in and setting it up!

Now show me some love MR!

G_MONEY

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
15 days in

So I used the Dr. Tims One and Only and I did see the tank cycle quickly.
After 2 weeks I have 0 Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia. Seen some Diatom bloom and hair algae but not any more than is usual.
Using Live Real Reef Rock helped to speed the mini-cycle along. It also allowed me a nice variety of shapes to build with. My first structure was unsound and after a week and a half under the stress of the water movement collapsed! I like what I rebuilt better and it is much sturdier so I expect it will last a long while.

Picked up 2 Black Phantom Clowns at Coral Theory and put them in Friday and they are getting along swimmingly (pardon the pun). I decided to move one of my Zoa colonies over earlier today and I am happy to say they did not melt away but instead opened up right away and seem to be enjoying the new digs. I am setting up my dosing pump tomorrow and will start to add some clean up crew later in the week.

I have noticed the Maxpect Gyre is a very powerful pump, I have it set to a very low 2 clicks (continuous) and it still clears out all of the sand in the opposite corner. I remedied this by putting debris in that corner to add some weight and it seems to work. Will need to cover that area with a toupee of some sort, Mushrooms perhaps?

Pardon the photos, they are not the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1968.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 229

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You added FSH and coral after only 2 weeks. Don't start to fast or you could mess up.

Take it slow when cycling tank needs to do its thing first. Don't buy anymore stuff to put in.

Lookingreally good tho.!

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
You added FSH and coral after only 2 weeks. Don't start to fast or you could mess up.

Take it slow when cycling tank needs to do its thing first. Don't buy anymore stuff to put in.

Lookingreally good tho.!
+1. It's early for a dosing pump setup too. I have an S650 and it's great, just wished I'd thought through the aquascape a bit more. I should have gone with a more minimalist approach. I swapped out the T5s for Radions and added a chiller, turned off all but one of the circulation pumps and now use an MP60 and Gyre for water movement. It's a nice tank concept though, nice clear glass. With the adjustable overflow the only sound I hear is when the chiller kicks in. Apart from that it's ambient sound.

G_MONEY

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Added a arctica 1/10th HP chiller myself. I put some foam under the main return pump
and I am very happy with the reduction in noise.
I am very to happy to hold off on the dosing pump!
I hear you Rob. Next fish is moving from my existing set up over to the new digs after the new year.
It's a drag staring at an empty tank! I know I must wait!!!!

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Added a arctica 1/10th HP chiller myself. I put some foam under the main return pump
and I am very happy with the reduction in noise.
I am very to happy to hold off on the dosing pump!
I hear you Rob. Next fish is moving from my existing set up over to the new digs after the new year.
It's a drag staring at an empty tank! I know I must wait!!!!

Yes make sure you wait. Cause you can over load if I'm correct with a new tank like yours. You wouldn't want any spikes. . please keep an eye out for any new spikes over the next few. Weeks I would check every 4-5 days.mor if you see any alage blooms.

G_MONEY

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1. It's early for a dosing pump setup too. I have an S650 and it's great, just wished I'd thought through the aquascape a bit more. I should have gone with a more minimalist approach. I swapped out the T5s for Radions and added a chiller, turned off all but one of the circulation pumps and now use an MP60 and Gyre for water movement. It's a nice tank concept though, nice clear glass. With the adjustable overflow the only sound I hear is when the chiller kicks in. Apart from that it's ambient sound.

Any pics of your build?

G_MONEY

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are some recent pics. Taken with my phone so they are not great. Tank is doing really well. I used Dr. Tim's one and only along with live rock and cycled this tank in 2 weeks. Yes it worked. No, nothing died. I don't know why everyone does not do this. I will never wait 3 months to cycle a tank again. I have since hooked up my doser to keep the alkalinity where it should be and have added rowaphos and carbon to keep phosphates and nitrates down. My Reef Octopus Skimmer helps free the water of unused or waste
Proteins.
I have numerous fish but my favorites have to be my Yasha Goby and the Blue Spot Jawfish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: