Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Okay, thanks. I will try again. I cleaned the bulkhead and O ring gasket before installing. I also wiped the glass down where it is going to be installed. I've been tightening only by hand. Someone told me to stay away from using pliers because it might do damage so i didn't use them. Is this safe?

It's not that pliers shouldn't be used, it's that they are very easy to misuse. If everyone tightened the bulkhead with just pliers, then I'm sure several people would have overcompressed gaskets which would result in a leak down the line. I hand tightened only and was able to get it down to a very slow drip. After researching it a bit, it seemed a lot of people were using channel lock pliers to give it another quarter of a turn and that's it. It did the trick for me. Tightening it past this point is where I think you'd encounter problems.

If you haven't already removed the bulkhead to clean the area, I'd try the quarter turn of the bulkhead first.

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It's not that pliers shouldn't be used, it's that they are very easy to misuse. If everyone tightened the bulkhead with just pliers, then I'm sure several people would have overcompressed gaskets which would result in a leak down the line. I hand tightened only and was able to get it down to a very slow drip. After researching it a bit, it seemed a lot of people were using channel lock pliers to give it another quarter of a turn and that's it. It did the trick for me. Tightening it past this point is where I think you'd encounter problems.

If you haven't already removed the bulkhead to clean the area, I'd try the quarter turn of the bulkhead first.

Ok, I will try.

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I got the bulkheads to finally seal. In the end I had to buy a new overflow kit and that did the trick. Now it's onto the sump plumbing. I'm planning to attach a double ball valve from the bulkhead to the rest of the sump plumbing. Do I use pvc primer and cement for these attachments as well are do I leave them in cemented for ease of detachment if need be later on?

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Got as much scraped off the overflows as I could. Not sure if I love the scape. Think I might need some more rock. I've got about 100lbs. Can't wait for it to finish cycling. I'm on day 2 lol.

tankrocksandlight.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: