chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the I want this and hmm maybe that is done, I always wanted a deep rectangular rimless tank. I nearly went with the Deep Blue rimless75, which is a beautiful tank, but smaller than I wanted. Then I found a good deal on a Marineland 93 rimless cube. Yet another really nice tank but still not grabbing my attention to the point where I had to have it. I started poking around pretty hard calling all local pet stores to see who was a dealer for DSA and so many would be like uh nope we are listed but we dont sell them. FINALLY I found a place in Rockland, a bit over an hours drive and I actually used to live there many moons ago, so I was like ok they have the tank I want the price is good and it's not that bad of a drive to go pick it up. So after a a great discussion with my better half she says go for it you have wanted it for so long, do it!!. well needless to say I was on the phone placing an order for the tank, stand and plumbing kit. I was told it would be be roughly 7-10 days for deliver to the store after the order was placed with DSA. Well I place the order Tuesday, I get a call the following Friday that the tank was delivered and people are staring it placing orders for that same tank. LOL I should have asked for a huge discount from that pet store for letting them advertise on my tank. LOL.. So, yesterday (Saturday) was the big day we went to pick up the tank and stand, let me tell you that the construction of them bot I feel was really impressive. I the stand is solid and really well made. Its not like the cheap stands of days of old .The doors are removable, it has a built in overflow tray in it, and its like a nice piece of furniture, not a fishtank stand. The quality of the tank spoke for itself as well, nice seams, smooth edges and nice trim work on it. Im happy with it. It was worth the wait and the extra money spent on it. After all it is in the living room and I wanted a show piece. So... My Jourrney begins. The tank is home, and the plan is starting to come together.
I am still in the process of planning it all but ,so far I think I will be using the AI Hydra 52 lights (x2) E shopps ADV 200 sump/fuge. The eshopps iv dosing pumps, . As far as skimmer im still at a loss. not sure which to go with as there seem to be so many out there and all have so many pros and cons. I guess I will be doing a lot more research on that. I think for circulation I will be going with a maxspect gyre.

Anyway, this is still the beginning, so any thoughts, suggestions, experiences etc you would like to share I'm all ears. I look forward to sharing my journey and as always reading and learning from you all. I will be posting some pics also.

Attachments

• dsa1051.jpg
    dsa1051.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 691
Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
I have the DSA NEO 65 with the matching stand. If i had to do it over again with the same setup, I would've put a coat of high gloss paint inside the stand to make it easier to wipe down. The plastic flooring cover they have on their stands are great!

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a few goodies... Lowes not only is a great place to buy goodies to upgrade your home, but your tank too LOL

I got tint for the back, a screen kit to make a top and led lights for the inside of the stand

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
HD has clear too and easier to work with. Tint looks pimp.

*Clink51 - im setting up a 57 too. My thread is 50g reboot (I misjudges the size)

Last edited:

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here I am finally updating this long overdue build thread, summer came and went faster than a bullet, and with that we are in what i like to call the colder months, " tank season". In all honesty i haven't had the time I planned to get the tank started which is fine cause it meant I didn't rush anything. but it also meant the tank gathered dust and lots of it. Last week I started ordering some goodies, starting with a new Typhoon 3,5 stage ro/di from AWI, I had one but its really old like 13 years old so... its good for parts if needed, I want to do a whole NEW BUILD SO... I ordered my skimmer I finally decided on a Reef Octopus Regal 150 sss internal skimmer and a Sicce Syncra Pro 1000 return pump. The RO arrived last week, skimmer Monday and the return should be here Friday. I will be ordering the E shopps sump next week some time and then start the plumbing. I really need to decide how i'm going to do the lighting, if I am going to mount the light brackets on the back of the stand or over head from the ceiling. I want that ready before i start getting rock and water in this thing. decisions decisions. lol I will post some more pics when i get started on the plumbing in the next few weeks. BTW has anyone tried the new ai hydra 52 hd?? are they worth the money?

Last edited:

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vwcrakerjack, I'll probably get my dry rock online from Bulk Reef Supply, I'll grab a few pieces of LR from some friends. Livestock.... that's where the fun comes in traveling to a whole bunch of stores in NJ and NY, Sadly there's nothing (store wise on the Island) I'm sure ill get clean up crews and coral online at different vendors. I still have a way to go but I'll be sure to post as I purchase.

Last edited:

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for today

My RS 200 arrived today, i just put a dry fit together with the skimmer, pump and sump with the hoses, I wanted to see placements and fit. Looks pretty good, I need to figure BioPellet reactor size and placement next. Next on the purchase list will be the brackets for the AI Hydra 52 hd. Then its some rock and time to start curing :)

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4030.jpg
    IMG_4030.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 205

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: