Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I know people have issues with GSP overtaking their rockwork but I've had a small flat piece of rock that I kept on the sand bed away from anything it could spread to and I kept it trimmed. I just love the way it moves in the current and being so bright and green. I'll likely put a a slow growing Sps or two on my outcroppings on the back where there's plenty of light on the wall. On my main display rockscape I want to put an Acro right in the middle. Like a tricolor or something similar. Then I'll surround it with other SPS, birdsnests, and some encrusting corals. I'll have acans on the sandbed and I'd love an ORA maxima ultra, even if I'll have to either sell or upgrade tanks one day.

I love dreaming and planning. Gets me through the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Send a Private Message
r_jay's biocube build

I was going to do a water change today but my refractometer is garbage. Well I'm about to throw it in the garbage. It doesn't hold calibration and while it says it's equipped with "integrated automatic temperature compensation", it doesn't act like it. So I ordered a new one off Amazon with good reviews and I'll compare the two. We shall see. FYI the one that sucks is sold by RedSea, their ratings for this refractometer on Amazon are not very good. I'm bummed I had to use my months aquarium allowance to replace equipment but I guess it's better to have everything ready for when I stock the tank.

Last edited by r_jay; 03-19-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_jay View Post
I was going to do a water change today but my refractometer is garbage. Well I'm about to throw it in the garbage. It doesn't hold calibration and while it says it's equipped with "integrated automatic temperature compensation", it doesn't act like it. So I ordered a new one off Amazon with good reviews and I'll compare the two. We shall see. FYI the one that sucks is sold by RedSea, their ratings for this refractometer on Amazon are not very good. I'm bummed I had to use my months aquarium allowance to replace equipment but I guess it's better to have everything ready for when I stock the tank.

Damn that sucks. Which refractometer did you go with on amazon? I have had this one for 5 months with no issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Send a Private Message
r_jay's biocube build

My old one I sold before moving was awesome and I never had an issue. Sadly I don't know the make/model of it. I almost bought that one but switched last second cause some reviews talked about issues I have with the redsea one. The one I bought is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ1SMC2..._GCd0ybBZ5363Y

Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Send a Private Message
So I've been meaning to tidy up some cables and so I got these Command clips to hold cables. I'm pretty happy with them thus far. also got my refractometer today and was able to do a water change. Very productive day!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Send a Private Message
little nano limpet

Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Send a Private Message
Today while at work I was building up some Zen staring at my FW Planted Spec V tank when I saw some baby cherry shrimp! Very exciting, even if it's freshwater and not a reef tank. this little creature is like 1/2 cm long so it must've been in there for at least 2-3 weeks and I didn't notice it

Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Reefer Ratings: (40 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Nice , I keep saying I'm gonna set up another FW tank , but ever since I got into saltwater I can't get myself to go back to FW

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STHILL View Post
Nice , I keep saying I'm gonna set up another FW tank , but ever since I got into saltwater I can't get myself to go back to FW

I started up my little nano FW tank before I got the green light to start up a Biocube reef again. I couldn't just have a tank with gravel and glo-fish though. I wanted plants and shrimps, snails and more. It's a very diverse tank for the footprint. It's my zen space. Gotta do something with my cubicle to make it better.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Send a Private Message
So I'm gonna be in Manhattan tomorrow and wanted some tips on any good spots to check out some fish/SW aquarium spots to get some coral. Ideas ?