Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
r_jay is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
r_jay's biocube build

Alright here's another drop into the ocean of biocube builds! I know everyone is excited

I'm taking it slow so I apologize in advance if it seems there's a long pause in between posts. It's not my first build so I'm planning carefully because I've many lessons learned from past builds.

This time I'm building a rock wall to attach to the back wall, it's something I've wanted to do for a while so I hope it turns out!

Today I got the rubble I needed and other supplies.

6lbs rubble rock
Pond foam
Egg crate
Aquarium silicone

I arranged all the rubble how I wanted

Then I used the pond foam and sprinkled sand over the foam.

I'm in the middle of trimming the foam and then I'll use CA glue to add sand over the foam again.

-R_jay
Old 12-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Reefer Ratings: (72 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Nandez13 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
A wall of corals sounds like a cool idea. I thought about it once but was unsure of how to get light to corals near the bottom. I figured the corals on top would eventually shade the corals on the bottom. What types of corals do you plan on attaching back there?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:25 PM
So far I don't plan to cover the entire wall with coral as you said I need to plan carefully what goes where. I put in a couple small outcropping rock shelves where I'll put an acro or two, then some various monti caps (I'll need to monitor growth) and then I'll see if I want some softies (zoas / mushrooms) on it where light is filtered.

I'm planning on getting a rapidLED dimmable kit so should have good coverage on the entire tank. I'm excited about my main rock structure. I'm going with minimalist approach.

-R_jay
Old 12-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Happy New Years! Today I finished trimming the foam and glueing sand over the exposed foam. Then I used aquarium silicone to attach it all to the wall of the biocube. Sorry for the blue lighting, I'm saving up for a rapidLED Aurora dimmable retrofit kit. Also this tank was bought used and I haven't cleaned the glass yet.

I made my main rock structure too, I'll add one piece of live rock to seed, which will also serve as my only other rock in the tank.

-R_jay
Old 12-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Reefer Ratings: (40 (100%)
Friends: (20)
STHILL is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looks good so far

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (99%)
Friends: (48)
reefer4eva is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Very cool! Keep the pics coming
Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks! I've been told I need to sell other hobby gear before I can buy my Aurora puck led kit. Lol

-R_jay
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

So yesterday I took advantage of the warm weather and filled my tank with... ocean water. Yup. Go ahead, freak out and tell me how many contaminants I put in there and all that. I filtered it with a filter sock and ran it through carbon. I didn't use a UV sterilizer. I figure since I'm a five minute walk from the beach I want to try it out. I've read threads from people debating the use of actual sea water and it sounded good enough to me. Im planning on running the tank as is for a couple months then I'll add LR to seed it (not from the ocean but hopefully from a fellow reefer). I'm still saving up for my lights so no hurry. Plus it'll give me time to see how the water goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Reefer Ratings: (40 (100%)
Friends: (20)
STHILL is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looks good ..nice job

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
atorres53 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Sweet!