32Bit_Fish

Hi all,

I am setting up a 20G reef tank and this is my First SW tank.

Equipment:

1. 75W heater
2. Catfish 130w arctic lighting system with lunar
3. Remora 1200 skimmer
4. AquaClear Powerhead with catridge

Live Rocks: 15lb of Fiji (fully cured)
Live Sand: 20lb of CaribSea Aragonite

Water chemistry:
Salinity: 1.024 (Refractometer)
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I have my both powerhead and skimmer running 24/7 and the tank is very cloudy after I dumped in the sand. Do u guys know when can it be cleared out? Should I shut down the powerhead n skimmer?

Today is Jan 12th, 2007 3PM

I will keep you guys updated.

I appreciate any inputs and advices

Attachments

• CloudyRocks1.JPG
    CloudyRocks1.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 366
  • Skimmer1.JPG
    Skimmer1.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 360
  • Planted1.JPG
    Planted1.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 367
  • Planted2.JPG
    Planted2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 367

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now you're officially part of the club:dog2:

Leave the skimmer and powerhead running. You want as much flow as possible.
Next time you add sand to a tank do this: Add sand first. Cover sand with plastic. Put 4 glasses of water, one in each corner. Add water. Remove glasses. Plastic will float to top. Remove plastic. Presto, you have clear water.

Steven

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are you talking about the plastic sheet? Then I need to cut it to a size that needs to be perfectly match to the buttom of the tank.. ?

I will try it next time if I set up my 125g. :p

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah a plastic sheet or a bag cut open and it doesn't have to be 100% perfect, better to be bigger.

Can't wait to see the non "foggy" pics.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can't wait to see the non "foggy" pics.

The tank is clearing up as we speak. It has been approximate four hours since I dumped in the Live Sand.

Now I can almost see my tank backgound n you guys will love the color of my tank background. lol...:lol:

BTW, can I add some dry fish food or raw shrimp meat in the tank to speed up the cycle process?

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Pics of the Tank As Jan 13th 2007 Sat

Here are some more pics of the tank. The tank is 16 hours old and as you can see there are still gas bubbles on the glass. The water is not yet crystal clear.

I found a worm this morning and it disappeared into rocks when I turned on the light, tried to take a pic of it.

Its cylical body shape (not flat) with orange skin color, a lot of tiny legs. The thing is about 1" long. Do u guys know what am I talking about?

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 341
  • rocks1.JPG
    rocks1.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 340
  • rocks2.JPG
    rocks2.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 336
  • lighton1.JPG
    lighton1.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 332
  • lighton2.JPG
    lighton2.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 335

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok, I will go buy some more rocks today

I have LR rubbles in that catridge attached to the powerhead. Do u think it is still a problem?

No filter pads, just LR rubbles in it.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Definately get more rock. 20-3olbs more might be just a bit overkill. I'd say get about 10 more and go from there.

Just remember your corals come in on rock and you dont want to run out of room for things because you bought too much live rock from the get go. Also it looks like the rock is just piled up right now, try aquascaping to make less look like more.
-Kris

PS. I'd ditch the catridge on the overflow, not because its doing anything bad but just because it's an eyesore in such a small tank.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I dont know anything about aquascaping.. what does it really mean anyway?

I noticed a lot of tiny bubbles coming out of the skimmer and hopefully it will not do that after the break in period. There are also some foams in the skimmer cup.

I dot want to get so much rocks since I want to have some fish in it later on. And also shrimps and snails...

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I added another 12lb of rocks in the tank and aquascaping the best way I can. There are also hiding places for fish n shrimps.

I will post some pics later. :p

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Jan 14th, 2007 8:51AM Sun

Just a little update.. The water is very cloudy after I added several shrimps in the tank last night.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I dot want to get so much rocks since I want to have some fish in it later on. And also shrimps and snails...

Your livestock will appreciate the rocks. Most fish love a place to go hide... don't be afraid of having more rock. Shrimp like to hide in caves and snails will feed on the growth on the rock. No worries about more rock!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: