Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Reefer Ratings: (46 (100%)
Friends: (71)
Send a Private Message
If I could give my two cents. Those dimensions are going to be very difficult for maintenance. Brutal to be honest. Try to go length and really anything deeper than four feet will require you to enroll in yoga and have something built like what was said above. Also I found that 32" height is a really manageable depth.(and I have long arms and the right equipment). You can go higher just gets harder. Note all this is moot point if you have someone maintaining it. If it were me I would go as long as you can 10-12' and 4' in width to 30-34" height. that will get you to your number and you can still have "relatively" easy maintenance. The reason for relative is that any tank over 500 gallons takes a considerable amount of time to keep pristine.
I am actually dealing with a couple companies at the moment for a similar behemoth. Pm me if you want to chat.

Thane
Old 05-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefiness View Post
Good luck reaching the middle of the 7.5 ft tank. Would definitely look stunning though. Youll probably need a catwalk over the tank.
That is the plan and rock work will be on the over flow side and it will cascade down from that side so I have view from 3 sides, I will cement pvc pipes on variuos places to hold frags just to make it easy but there will be removeable cat walk where I can lay down work lol it will be tough but worth the effort,
Old 05-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetFishGeek View Post
If I could give my two cents. Those dimensions are going to be very difficult for maintenance. Brutal to be honest. Try to go length and really anything deeper than four feet will require you to enroll in yoga and have something built like what was said above. Also I found that 32" height is a really manageable depth.(and I have long arms and the right equipment). You can go higher just gets harder. Note all this is moot point if you have someone maintaining it. If it were me I would go as long as you can 10-12' and 4' in width to 30-34" height. that will get you to your number and you can still have "relatively" easy maintenance. The reason for relative is that any tank over 500 gallons takes a considerable amount of time to keep pristine.
I am actually dealing with a couple companies at the moment for a similar behemoth. Pm me if you want to chat.

Thane
Thank you for your reply Thane, this is why I am taking suggestions, what you suggested will be good idea, I am getting some pictures from other members who own tanks and I will see how they are designed. Thank you

Rav
Old 05-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetFishGeek View Post

Thane
+1

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Send a Private Message
Thank you, I am looking into different sizes and configurations, will keep you guys posted for your opinion and suggestions,
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Join the shark and stingray aquarist group on Facebook. Lots of large reef keepers and aquarium workers that maintain large reefs.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...reef-pond.html
Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Send a Private Message
Thank you for sharing the link,
Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
I did the pex line to heat up my tank, connected to my hot water tank for the house ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
You are correct Matt, Everyone have different way of running the system. I will be using natural resources to light up the reef and suppliment 100w blue led for accent and Huge sump with lots and lots of rock for natural filteration and I have all the equipment that will support the system, I will use Hotwater heater to heat and pex pipe burried in my backyard to cool it off, I am just getting some ideals before I decide anything.. but lets see where it takes me.. but your points are valid
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacson View Post
I did the pex line to heat up my tank, connected to my hot water tank for the house ..
I use the Titanium Coil that is submersed in water in my sump and works great.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
hot water heating

hi Rav, any picture of your titaium coil heating built. i'm interested in something like that to heat my system.