Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (64 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Thatguy96 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
So I got the plumbing down yesterday and it was something else ... because one my Apex energy bars decided to stop working at 12am. So I had to reprogram that but the tank was up and running by 2am

If you know anyone that can spare some different kind of algae let me know
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Thatguy96; 07-14-2017 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (5)
n3hihz is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looking good.

Is the glass baffled silicone in? or just held in place by the sand?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (61 (98%)
Friends: (54)
vio is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
You gone use a dif. pump or same manifold for supply , if use dif. pump use sponge strainer, to make sure you dont dump lot of Detritus in new refuge.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Thatguy96
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3hihz View Post
Looking good.

Is the glass baffled silicone in? or just held in place by the sand?
I really wanted to keep the option of not having that elevated sand bed in the background encase I decided to change the look of the tank so I bought a 1/2 thick shatter proof glass in a but of 23 x 16 which fit perfectly. With the 6inch sand bed down below, it was more than enough to hold the glass up and I used a few of the rocks to keep it lifted up.

I will post some new pics later but I really like the look so far because I'm able to leave cheeto in the back where I don't have too much flow and the mangrove roots are not too far from getting to the sand bed! I wanted to shout out a few members that helped with the build one way or the other!:

Vio - I would have to say he was the one who really got this idea started because after I saw his ridiculously awesome SPS setup and his fuge, I got the itch to setup this display fuge I wanted for sometime!

Steven - Great guy and hooked me up with some great looking rock filled with choroline that just gave a great look to the tank right off the bat.

Mike NY - For offering up a bunch of algae to get this tank up and started!!

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Thatguy96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
You gone use a dif. pump or same manifold for supply , if use dif. pump use sponge strainer, to make sure you dont dump lot of Detritus in new refuge.
Hi Vio, I decided to go with the same pump for now which will cause some re-circulation because I was just too worries about a leak if things did not match up.

I will consider a different pump in the future.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
vio
The reason , i ask , is because , years a go i just ignore the Detritus , i end up by having a Refuge works against me , become Detritus Bank ( just like magnet for PO4 and Nitrate) Refuge need some "respect" let the Macro Algae (Chaetto, Algae Scrubber, Mangrow etc.) to do the work. Just keep in your mind , Deep Sand Bad, may strip most of Nitrate , you may like to control, that, Do NOT go to aggressive against Nitrate and PO4. in special for LPS, you have GREAT tank, take it easy,
Old 07-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Thatguy96
Here are some updated pics. Tank is coming along.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM
vio
Wow, nice.
For some reason ,i think , you make a good decision NOT to have Mangrow ruts on sand
Not sure, but i will do some home work.
You may have some fish , right ?
GREAT job man.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Thatguy96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
Wow, nice.
For some reason ,i think , you make a good decision NOT to have Mangrow ruts on sand
Not sure, but i will do some home work.
You may have some fish , right ?
GREAT job man.
Thanks brotha! yeah so I really like the way this came out actually because I was able to add cheeto in the back on the other side of the glass. I think the magrove roots will grow into the sand at some point which will be a really cool look where fish can swim in and out of the roots.

@Samsky hooked me up with some awesome gargonians that i specifically bought encase I want to get some seas horses in there. I would have to play around with the flow and figure out how I can feed them in a way where they can slowly eat with the pipfish but that is a few weeks away for now.

The goal is to first introduce some algae in there, test for the proper macro growing trace elements like Iron etc. Once I see some more growth, I will add a clean up crew and then the sea horses and pip fish.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Reefer Ratings: (76 (100%)
Friends: (5)
heuerfan is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looks awesome, would love to see it under white leds

Also your welcome, glad the rocks went to a good home.

Last edited by heuerfan; 07-17-2017 at 03:28 PM..