Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I sold almost all of my stuff few years ago. Totally burnt out from doing fish breeding. Things I have left is the 125g main tank, 75g sump, and some pumps and accessories. My wife would kill me if I buy another tank, so I have to work with what I have.

I used to use my entire garage for fish breeding. Sumps, tanks, equipment everywhere. Now that my garage is actually a garage, I have to rework the area a little bit. I also need to have everywhere covered to avoid any moisture and salt water splashes getting onto the car.

First I'm going to build a chaeto tank along with an internal skimmer. I used to run algae scrubbers. They worked really well. But after awhile, I found cleaning the algae scrubbing sheet a hassle. Removing chaeto is much easier. :)

So, I bought a drilled 40g breeder from craigslist for $20 as my chaeto tank. I then found out he is actually a member here.

Here is my chaeto tank design:

design.jpg

I actually have enough PVC piping leftover to make all these without buying move PVC stuff:

WithPipes.jpg

After reading about the Kessil H380, I have to get one to try out:

WithLight.jpg

And created a cover for it. I ordered a new skimmer but it was in transit. So the cover doesn't have holes for the skimmer yet:

AndCovere.jpg

And I made sure the air vent on the Kessil is not covered:

ClearVents.jpg

TO BE CONTINUE...

Last edited:

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thank you. I'm pretty sure this thread is unlike most other build threads that people like to start with their display tank first. For me, I want to get everything that support the display tank to be ready first. First the water filtration from the last post. Then, the ecosystem next.

Let's finish up the filtration tank here. Here is the Reef Octopus ELITE 200INT Protein Skimmer with VarioS DC Pump. The new Elite line is similar to the Regal line with the DC pump, but with the newer smooth body.

Skimmer.jpg

Have them installed and connected to Apex. Modified the cover to fit them all in. Nice and neat.

SkimmerCovered.jpg

Next step, the eco system. I got some free Chaeto and a few live rock rubbles from chalan from this forum. In order to jumpstart the system, I culture them. Having the water intake shut off, the chaeto partition is like a small tank by itself. I put a small scratch of the algae dish from FAF along with some micro algae grow, also from FAF in there. Having the Kessel K380 blasting it at a few inch above the water.

Starting chaeto and pods culture:

ChaetoStart.jpg

At the same time, the actual phyto culture also started in a more proper and clean setting:

PhytoDay1.jpg

4 Days later, we got:

PhytoDayLast.jpg

And these:

2buckets.jpg

Want to see the culture with the live rocks?

More to be continue...

Last edited:

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Just a quick update. Things are going well. The chaeto is getting so big. I had to give half of it back to "Reef Reaper" who also gave me some chaeto to start my setup. This video was recorded a couple of weeks ago before I trimed it down:

The pods culture tank is also doing well. I'm struggling with the phyto demand from the increasing population of the pods. Kind of regret that I threw away the 2 full buckets of experimental phyto away. That's 10 gallon! Enough to feed a small country... of pods. lol

PodsnPhyto.jpg

Here is a video of the Amphipod having a block party while the Copepods just chilling out on the wall:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: