Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Starting over - My "new" 80

Hey Guys:

I have been around since just about the beginning of MR. While on here I started out with a used 55 Gallon tank to upgrading to a 180 with all of the trimmings then I downgraded to a used 40 gallon breeder.

Long story short, for the past 5 months I have been mostly home bound because I tore my achilles tendon in my left foot and tore a different tendon in my right foot. Add to that my other health issues and I am going batty.

My 40 never thrived. Too many issues- I am using a 15 Gallon tank as a sump with no baffles, so a major PITA to keep the skimmer calibrated, etc.

Soooo... My buddy changed his mind on his tank so I took it off his hands. Hopefully on Thursday or Friday I will be getting a few of my friends together to move it to my place (16 blocks away) with about 50 gallons of water, the sand, etc.

This tank is an 80 gallon that is practically new with a new sump.

I will keep this thread open to post photos and updates.

Question- Anyone on the UWS have any empty 5 gallon water jugs they would be willing to loan me? I have enough to transport about 15 gallons of water in addition to the sand and live rock.

***EDIT: I will be using this thread as a "journal" of my 80. Hopefully it will document my successes and failures. This time around I am taking it really slow and doing it right. No more shortcuts. If I need to add something I will wait until I can afford the best solution instead of settling.

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Health issues & Starting over

If you can make water at home, I wouldn't worry too much about bringing all that water unless you need for rock/livestock transportation. The important bacteria will be in the rock and sand.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well, Murphy's law hit... My two friends that were supposed to help me out this Friday are unable to make it and I can't carry anything heavy or go up/down stairs. So probably won't be getting my new (used) tank anytime soon...

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i do water change 60 gal. a week, ULN , if you like PM i will give some 5 gal. water buckets (5-6= 30 Gal.) i leave in Park Av. by 59 st. lmk. before Sat. morning.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Plumbing completed. Now to add live rock, finish aquascape and get new lights! (Can't afford the lights right now, but definitely soon!)

2ab86c70a9768a1d2b8cbbd37ddfd7c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Got it up and running! No leaks, but boy is it noisy!

Definitely need to add an ATO as well. The amount of water in the return pump chamber is probably about 1 gallon before it starts to blow air into the tank.

fc8730ff7591df8139d9d371f55dfe8c.jpg

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Now trying to decide if I should add the live rock I had in the 40... Had tons of bristle worms and the flat long, thin red worms that may be parasitic, but not 100% sure.

Also need to add the heater, figure out if I can fit the chiller, etc.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got it up and running! No leaks, but boy is it noisy!

Definitely need to add an ATO as well. The amount of water in the return pump chamber is probably about 1 gallon before it starts to blow air into the tank.

fc8730ff7591df8139d9d371f55dfe8c.jpg

Should really throw a coat of paint inside the stand, so the water and moisture don't bring you trouble down the line. Don't want it to get mildew, moldy or moisture damage.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Plumbing completed. Now to add live rock, finish aquascape and get new lights! (Can't afford the lights right now, but definitely soon!)

2ab86c70a9768a1d2b8cbbd37ddfd7c4.jpg

I think , you to close to water level ( you got 8" ? , why is water level so low ?) may have to go list 2"-4" up and much closer to center.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Twelve days and barely even a light film of algae on the glass in some spots. I dis see small spots of cyano in the sand and a light dusting of it on a few rocks and the rocks started getting a brown hue from diatoms, so I added three turbo grazers and the rocks are now clean as the day I setup the tank!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: