Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (0)
inked is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
93 gallon cube build

Just started my upgrade this weekend. I am moving to a 93 gallon cube from a reefer 250. I love the reefer 250 it's a great tank it just didn't fit well it our small living room. I have it caddy corner and it's taking up more room than the 93 will.

I picked up the 93 from don at aqua hut in coram. Originally I wanted the tank and stand and as always don gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. So I left a deposit and planned to pick it up a week later. The size of the stand had me a little worried, it was only 26 1/4 tall. With a sump and all the fun stuff I was going to run out of room quickly. I decided to build my own at 34 inches in height.

I did my research and checked out a bunch of manufactured tank stands and decided on a 3/4 plywood stand. About 20 trips to home depot and a couple hundred bucks I have plenty of room and it looks decent!

Anyway this is what I am going to use for hardware. I had everything from the reefer 250 except the sump.

Trigger emerald 26
M1 return
2 mp40 quite drives
Apex 2016
Micro algae reactor
2 hydra 26 hd
Coral box WiFi dosing pump

I need to figure out a ato. I have it setup with the apex right now using optical sensors and a solenoid. It auto fills the reefer 250 ato which is gravity feed. I guess I'll get 2 more optical sensors and apex utility pump?

I attached a few pictures of the reefer and the new stand. I have to finish painting the stand and plan on doing the plumbing this week. Hopefully the sump shows up in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (5)
bonomo53 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Make sure you check the seams on the 93 cubes they are known to have bubbles in them. I had one that got worse over time and marineland refunded me.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:56 PM
MemBiZzLe.
Reefer Ratings: (37 (97%)
Friends: (35)
noelskii is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonomo53 View Post
Make sure you check the seams on the 93 cubes they are known to have bubbles in them. I had one that got worse over time and marineland refunded me.
Sucks, but I haven't seen a single Marineland cube free of any microbubbles in the seams.. at least 1 or 2 seams have them, if not ALL...

<-click

Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Then I guess this will be th first! I also see the threads from a few years ago that had issues. Can't get a clear shot of the last side

Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
MemBiZzLe.
I just setup my 93 cube a month ago and when I first checked it out, the seams were all good. I pointed a flashlight and saw microbubbles on the top, front, right seam and no other seams. I was hesistant to fill it up. I started googling and A LOT of people have this issue. I saw marineland's forum and they said it was a normal thing and that it was fine to fill up- as long as they weren't huge pea-sized bubbles.... Also looked at some physics forums and they say all the pressure is at the bottom of the tank and the top of the tank has almost no pressure...

So I filled it up and started noticing bubbles on 3 seams now, but still all tiny micro bubbles towards the top of the tank... Just keeping an eye on it to make sure its not spreading...

<-click

Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Cool thanks for the info. I haven't filled yet probably won't till this weekend. I saw the posts on a few other forums about the bubbles so I looked really well before I picked up the tank and will keep a eye on it after I fill. Other than the bubbles how do you like the tank? What plumbing kit are you using? Mine came with auqadeon I think that's the name the tank is in my living room so I need it as quite as possible.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM
MemBiZzLe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Cool thanks for the info. I haven't filled yet probably won't till this weekend. I saw the posts on a few other forums about the bubbles so I looked really well before I picked up the tank and will keep a eye on it after I fill. Other than the bubbles how do you like the tank? What plumbing kit are you using? Mine came with auqadeon I think that's the name the tank is in my living room so I need it as quite as possible.

I love cube tanks. I had the 60 cube just before this one (the reason I upgraded was because of the bubbles on the 60..oops). I normally make my own overflow plumbing kit, but I just decided to use the one the tank came with. It's silent as it is. I did block the small siphon break hole on the return pipe with silicone. If you don't block this, it's loud and causes splashing.

<-click

Old 11-14-2017, 04:12 PM
I'll take a picture of mine when I get home curious if it's the same kit. Quite is good don't want to give the boss a excuse lol.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Well I got everything moved over. Need a little more rock but everything is looking happy so far.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Well I got everything moved over. Need a little more rock but everything is looking happy so far.