Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Thank you, Trigger.
It's thanks to communities such as these I've grown patience over time. It's not easy for sure. The upgrade process began back in September 2017 with the purchase of my SRO Skimmer, knowing full well it wouldn't see skimmate for probably 6-8 months later. Just hoping I've learned enough to grow out one reef I can be proud of.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
Sorry to post back to back like this, but I walked into the house and was greeted by THIS site. I am in love
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message
Looks awesome Tim will be ready for water soon enough. In the meantime if want me to test out that alk monitor for you make sure doesn’t have any defects haha
Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
New update with pictures of the progress so far

I'd say the stand it about 3/5ths complete. The brick wall is a wonderful complement to the wood and adds to our modern rustic industrial beachy chic vibe décor...lol. And the eventual wood wrap to resemble a beam in the doorway is a dream come true.

Finishing up the sheathing, finishing doors, building a front display cabinet for the Apex and modules, and installing an exhaust fan and humidistat. Was able to purchase a CAP AIR-1 (2 actually) as the company was bought out and stopped making these really nifty and well-priced controllers. Only purchased the one fan for now and plan to install that at sump/chiller level. There are enough passageways throughout the system that I believe the canopy will get exhausted as well with no need to add anything else but perhaps a small fan.

I purchased a 30x24x10 acrylic frag tank from Advanced Acrylics to my own custom specs to be used as a gravity drain and fed system connected to my DT. That increases my total water volume in the system to now approx. 280 gallons.
Up from a previous high of 70 in my old system. Wow, what am I doing? haha

Anyway, AA has been very communicative via Facebook and their website, and phone calls. Highly recommend at least their customer service. I'll post pics of the tank once it arrives (only about a week eta)

Building a water change station myself (my DIY in construction skills are sorely absent but figured even I could do this) Purchased the BRS 150GPD upgrade kit and a booster pump (working with about 44psi of water pressure normally - not good enough). Stealing a lot of ideas from Youtubers and bloggers. Plan on using a 44G Brute for fresh RODI and 2 30G Brutes for mixing salt, on wheels to roll into the living room. Pics to follow.

Have begun a preliminary diagram of the plumbing I'll need. Too bad I'm missing out on Marine Depots 15% off plumbing sale...because I'm going to need a ton of pvc.

As with the construction team, I will include a more indepth review of the contractor I went with when the project is completed and paid for. Lets just say, entering our 6th week of construction, and while I have a very understanding pregnant wife being as supportive as she can, she and I are getting a bit frustrated at the less than ideal pace of progress. The work is immaculate though, the leak and settling test has been great (Glass Cages believer) and he is very receptive to changes and my overall vision. Honestly, my giddiness at seeing it built, albeit slowly, is still greater than my impatient nature.

Good things come to those that wait, or so they say....
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 AM
www.reeftrends.com
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (44 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Looks great! John at Advanced Acrylics is awesome but he does get busy because his quality. Tell him David at Reef Trends says hi (might shave a day or two off lol). Check savko for plumbing supplies or if want Marine Depot I can help you save there feel free to reach out.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH
Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Trends View Post
Looks great! John at Advanced Acrylics is awesome but he does get busy because his quality. Tell him David at Reef Trends says hi (might shave a day or two off lol). Check savko for plumbing supplies or if want Marine Depot I can help you save there feel free to reach out.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
will do, Dave. Actually Mike (Refinny) also had me name drop him haha. So John is being very generous and supposedly will have this shipping end of this week/early next.
Still want ya to provide your plumbing knowledge very soon. I'm think week of March 26th (fingers crossed) but will lock you down before LIRA swap.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
Moving along at a snails pace.
The actual build, demo to 95% completion took 7 weeks. I even omit February break because it was a mutual halt to the project, but the finished project is better than I anticipated. If anyone is looking for similar work, private message me for my contractor's info. Great guy, very reasonable price and the craftsmanship is mint.
Doors are not finished but they are up. I am adding iron inserts to them made out of composite in the shape of coral and various nautical themes. Check out the spec sheet for an in depth view. Super stoked for these. Tableaux has been a great company to work with.

Added industrial lights to the facade to add some depth. Dave from Reef Trends is helping me plumb the system and plan out my sump and filtration. Him and Alan from Aquaspaces have been very helpful so far.

Other than that, rock and sand are ready to go. If there is ANY nuisance algae growth due to these rocks that have been cooking for 6 months, I give up haha.

Sharing pics of 95% complete build, process of draining the tank of settling and leak test water and spec sheet for the door inserts.

Thanks for looking and follow along/comment with thoughts, praise and criticism. All is helpful. Happy reefing!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
Memorial Day Weekend Update
Hey All,
Been awhile, since my wife went into labor 8 weeks early on 5/17, (everyone doing well!) but I've got some progress news to share. Dave and Alan from Reeftrends were able to plumb the beast last night for over 10 hours. They were thorough and clean. Just look at these pics. 5 outlet manifold to feed 2 reactors, the biopellets, the chiller and a spare. Sea swirls (a free gift from Arnaldo24 - thanks buddy) to provide some random flow out of the return. All in Sch 80 and colored PVC. It's a work of art for sure

Also really starting to refine the aquascape. Going with a 2 island lagoon design instead of original idea of a long ridge shape. Like the idea for growth room and swimming space. Going to chisel out a few more caves. Almost ready to add to tank, epoxy down and GET WET!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Send a Private Message
rock, sand water are in. full siphon established. cycling through the sump for 48 hours. now adding Dr Tim's Only and Only and 12 hours later beginning my fishless cycle. Hopefully transferring my own fish over in the next 10 days or so.

So close I can taste it!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Reefer Ratings: (59 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Good luck build look great

Water quality, Flow, Lighting, Patience lol:
"KISS" (Keep it Siphoned and Skimmed)
this -> "Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained"

I like this also
http://i.imgur.com/FRWytuv.jpg