D

dylanjs

Hi Reefers,
Here's what's happening in my apartment...

Setup:
-55G AGA
-50lbs of live sand and 100 lbs of live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (my first of many splurges). I've never seen a tank cycle so fast. But I might have been willing to wait longer for cycling to finish if I didn't have to spend so much time chasing gorilla crab hitchhikers.
-175W DE 10K Metal Halides and a 65W PC Actinic
-RemoraC skimmer with pre-skimmer box
-Eheim 2026 with carbon (cleaned top to bottom every 4 to 6 weeks)
-Chiller, heater, and some maxi-jets for circulation.

My wish list: digital dosing pump, AquaController III, and KnopC calcium reactor

Projects: DIY Hood with two 250W MHs, two 24W Tek T5s, 4 LED moonlights, and 2 fans. Hoping to have this done by my birthday...March 4.

Livestock: :grouphug:
-Bright green bubble anemone
-4 xenia colonies: Red Sea Pink & White Xenia, Green Tree Xenia (Elongata), Blue Xenia, Waving Hand Xenia
-pair of royal grammas
-pair of ocellaris
-pair of Lubbock's wrasses (from House of Fish)
-3 Croceas (from House of Fish)
-2 peppermint and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
-1 cucumbers...the other one tried to clean out the protein skimmer for me. ;-)
-some snails and hermits

Pictures to follow...

Last edited:
D

dylanjs

Some Pictures...

I'm don't have the photo techniques down yet, but here's a preview....

Attachments

• tank0.jpg
    tank0.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 214
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 215
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 216
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 215
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 215

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
u know i always wondered why people never kept some macro in their tanks, besides the heavy maintenance from trimming. There has to be a way to put algae growth in check somehow, would help tons in phos and nitrate removal.

Tank looks great btw. =0) i like it. Good luck with the overgrowth of Caul.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The Caulerpa is to prepare me for the suburban lawn-mowing lifestyle. I trim it back every other day. :Yikes: It's worth it, tho. I love the look and the nitrate/phos part of the chemistry is excellent.

Scarf... horses, I'm intrigued! What has to go for them to thrive and what kind of corals can you keep with sea horses?

Last edited:

bergerd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
NiiiiiiiiiCE

Cool look Dylan. I used to have macro algae but I got lazy and it took over everything. It has taken me forever and a day to get things under control. Look forward to seeing each others tanks soon. David

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
New Shots

Some more shots after feeding of the brittle star...

More to follow, I have an order from HOF coming!

Attachments

• tank010.jpg
    tank010.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 98
  • tank011.jpg
    tank011.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 94

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
dylan- dean said it perfectly, unfortunately you have anemones and you won't be able to put ponies in there. any coral that has sweepers or stingers should not be housed w/ seashorses. they are very slow swimmers and will just get killed or eaten.

enjoy the 55!
btw is that a goby or something, above the star in the first pic?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I have two tanks with macro algae as part of the aquascaping and eco system component. I will be setting/moving up one in my cafe soon.

A lot of the European reefers like to put macro algae in their tanks too. Just that we should carefully select the right kinds so that they are easier to control.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks for the kind words!

One of my anemones (condylactis, I believe) has been wandering around the tank, so it's on the way out.

Any chance of adding a pair of seahorses with just a bubble anemone and some xenia?

D

dylanjs

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Could I really put a tang in a 55G tank, btw? The dimensions are 30" long x 24" high x 18" deep.

I always thought this would be too small, but the yellow tang is a favorite from my childhood. Are there other breeds that are smaller and maybe more appropriate?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: