Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Photos 120Gal Mixed Reef Build - Journey to expert

So I've finally decided to start sharing pics and info from my latest build. I'd say my current skill level and knowledge is advanced in most areas . Hopefully I'll reach that expert level we all strive for from my experiences on this tank. That being said, please feel free to chime in with any questions and/or advice. Enjoy!

Pics - Initial setup done approx 4-1-2018 (Last three photos are approx 8-1-18)

https://youtu.be/0424KOR7BOs
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by NStephenson; 08-08-2018 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: Added Video from setup
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
what kind of 'vents' do you have on the overflows? i just recently changed mine to 'T' elbows. I just don't have a valve for air on the tops.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Send a Private Message
Sorry for the late reply... The 1in. 'T' elbows on the overflow essentially has a reducer fitting then a 1/2in. male to 1in. slip fitting as the vent (https://www.amazon.com/1-1-PVC-Male-.../dp/B00D4C7XL0)

It runs really quiet to. Let me know if you want to see some close up pics. Good luck with your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antf View Post
what kind of 'vents' do you have on the overflows? i just recently changed mine to 'T' elbows. I just don't have a valve for air on the tops.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (67 (99%)
Friends: (60)
Send a Private Message
I love the overflows position ( one side , in stand back) is a WAY more efficient , most of the water flow go side to side , NOT front to back, make easy for Detritus to be faster OUT.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Send a Private Message
Yea, I love it to. Had the corner flow on my previous tank (60gl cube) and the flow was way to difficult to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
I love the overflows position ( one side , in stand back) is a WAY more efficient , most of the water flow go side to side , NOT front to back, make easy for Detritus to be faster OUT.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:04 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (67 (99%)
Friends: (60)
Send a Private Message
One more think referring to efficiency.

I run to MJ 1200 pumps behind Protein Skimmer ( left and right), push back to P.S. intake whatever miss.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Send a Private Message
Never thought or heard about that one.... i'm already considering trying that out on this build. Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
One more think referring to efficiency.

I run to MJ 1200 pumps behind Protein Skimmer ( left and right), push back to P.S. intake whatever miss.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Send a Private Message
Photos Post cycle - First month after setup/transfer

Wife approves in first pic after the dust settles (thank the heavens... lol)

These pics are from the first month of the setup/transfer. The tank was setup using all my rock and sand from my previous build (60gl Cube). I was able to get this tank to do a heavy cycle in about a week.

Most of the livestock (including two anemone) lived in a temporary biocube setup for about 7-10 days.

https://youtu.be/CJ4ZMidTqdA
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by NStephenson; 08-08-2018 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: added video