TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well after much procrastination, here is my tank thread for the AP 24:

I've always wanted to experiment with a nano tank. I decided to go with and all-in-one because of the need to have to tank completely covered. I went with the Aquapod simply because it was a lot cheaper than the JBJ. I think I paid $169.99 from Drs Foster and Smith. The first tank came cracked. I'm amazed that there is absolutely no warning labels that the package is heavy and contains glass. Anyway they sent me out a new one right away.

This is what the tanks look like out of the box.
IMG_3079.jpg

and this is with the lights on
IMG_3086.jpg

The stock pump that comes with the tank is a no-name brand that you may as well just use it for mixing salt. It adds tons of heat and uses a lot of electricity. So I replaced the stock pump with 2 maxi jet 900 added a Hydor Flo and two locline returns.

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

To add the locline, I had to drill to the plastic false back. The hole size 1 1/8" for a 1/2" bulkhead.

IMG_3109.jpg

The locline assembled
IMG_3072.jpg

I had a very hard time trying to attach the maxi jet to a hose that would fit onto or into the 1/2" bulkhead. The real problem was that my hands are too big to get back into the little space. So what I did is shave down a 1/2" PVC pipe and I was then able to slip the hose over that.

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

I decided to also replace the stock fan with two Vantec Stealth fans.
IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

Here's the stock canopy

IMG_3098.jpg

This is with the plastic off

IMG_3099.jpg

This is a real easy mod, basically you cut the wires off the old fan and hook up the two new fans to the transformer. You will need longer screws to attach the new fans, you'll see why in a second.

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

The reason you need longer screws:
IMG_3105.jpg

Stock fan on the left Vantec on the right.

I decided to have both fans blowing in, this way the hot air is forced out of the vents on top of the bulbs. Otherwise since the fans sit behind the light, the air coming in would just get sucked right out, without touching the bulb area.

Both fans wired and secured.
IMG_3107.jpg

The old four glasses and a plastic sheet trick

IMG_3115.jpg

Tank with water and black sand
IMG_3116.jpg

For a skimmer, I went with the Sapphire Aquatics Nano Skimmer. It's not bad but it throws too many micro bubbles in the tank.
IMG_3090.jpg

Two or three days of skimming
IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Livestock

I used tank water and some rock from 92 and cured rock that I got from Warren (pecan2phat), so I only had a mini cycle. I began adding livestock one month after initial setup.

The FTS
note the micro bubbles aren't as bad now as they are in this pic
AP24002.jpg

Bubble gum zoos
AP24005_edited.jpg

Yellow polyps
AP24006.jpg

Yuma Yuma
AP24009.jpg

Silver Xenia
AP24010.jpg

False Perc
This is the first fish I bought for my 92, I had to move him here because of my maroon clowns.
AP24017.jpg

Flameback Angel
AP24018.jpg

Skunk Shrimp
AP24007.jpg

There are few other zoos, some GSP that I'm trying to grow on the back wall, a few pieces of capenella and kenya and bunch of snails and hermits. I'm also fighting some bubble algae. I had a goby in there but had to take him out because he kept picking on the snails. I definitely won't be adding anymore fish. I'll be adding some more softies and choice specimens come along.

Thanks for reading my tank thread,
Steven

Stay tuned for my next mod; upgrading the stock hood from 64w PC to 120w PC.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
nano

great explanation of set-up and how you did the mod's. keep telling myself i want to get a nano. i have the same bubble gum zoa's. didnt know the name of them though

dc178p

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awsom setup. I am also trying to do a similar setup as you with the aquapod 24gal. Are the fans you chose quiet and do they keep the heat dowm the way you have set them up?:)

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are the fans you chose quiet and do they keep the heat dowm the way you have set them up?:)

The fans are quiet and my tank temp hasn't gone over 79. The tank is in the basement and there is an AC for the summer.

Did you upgrade the lights or did you keep with the pcs?

I'm currently using the stock 64w lighting, as soon as the bulbs need to be changed I'm going to upgrade to 120w PCs in the same hood.

glad to see the angel is still kicking. the evil lil bugger! :sgrin: should change his name to flameback devil

He's been nothing but an "angel" :D

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I didn't use and of the media that came with the tank. The skimmer, heater and a bag of purigen sit in the right chamber. The two maxi jets sit in the left chamber.

Steven

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: