A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":2jfyvs1u said:
Hey, I was just yanking your chain. I know exactly where you're coming from. :P

Of the three colonies I've bought, one was $30 (2nd picture down) and the two others (6th and 10th, both of which shots only show half or less than half of the colony) cost $40 for both. So we must be in the pre-stupid Zoanthid craze here, though things are clearly changing, given the $50 I'm paying for the red palys on page 11. But that reflects their rarity value I guess.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the zoanthid insanity is strictly the US and the UK. The rest of the world seems to not quite know what to make of it. Something similar with the acan craze, 'cept the australians are very upset with us for swiping all of their good ones off their market and driving up prices on them. Not sure about chalices; the rest of the world doesn't seem to have gone as nutty for them and the only tanks you see with two dozen 1" chalice frags are all american.

The tank's coming along nice and I'm still envious of how clean your sand bed looks. I'm finally just about past my tank's early cyano stage but I'm still removing it from the sandbed every week or two. And that pink softy of yours is looking great.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, that's really encouraging. My Strombus snails are probably who I have to thank for my sand bed, they do an excellent job of keeping it clean, particularly as the Tail Spot Blenny seems to take offence if they try and eat off the rock, and they now mostly stick to the sand, though occasionally one will go climbing on the rock work.

Zoanthids have for a long time been called the beginner's coral here and not in a good way. It seems the hobby here has been for a long time a hobby for (mostly) men who like a challenge and therefore the prestige comes with a tank full of SPS colonies or carpet anemones. But that's changing I think. LPS are now seeming more popular and the way LFS here are seeing their more colorful zoa colonies sell out so quickly, I think we may be on the verge of a boom in their popularity. I'd love to think that will lead to an increase in supply of interesting colors (it seems to be so far) without the accompanying price rise, but it's inevitable to an extent that a premium will be charged for the fancier colors, unless the market gets flooded.

Acans have never been that colorful here, though I've found somewhere that sells some nice pieces (and very cheap). Chalices are very much at the periphery and always sold cheaply as whole colonies. The downside of that is that there are very few dramatically colored pieces.

The irony I find with the periodic crazes in the US hobby is how often Japan is referred to as a place where anything is available or where all the cherries get sent. It's true to an extent with rare fish, but with coral, from what I've seen on the net, the selection here is generally nowhere near as good as the US (maybe because it's smaller scale as well, less commercialized, with less of the clever marketing of silly names/"rare morphs").

Another thing that is kind of annoying/amusing is the number of times I see Japanese deepwater zoas or Japanese XXXX coral etc talked about in the US. According to a friend of mine, the Japanese deepwater zoas come from Vietnam. They're just recently starting to appear here. :lol:

The pink softie is really looking great. I should try and get a close-up for you at some point. It usually looks a lot spikier than the first shot I posted, so it might be a Stereonepthya sp. In front of it now is a cheapo $15 yellow version, sold under the same Japanese name, but I have no idea whether it's the same species or just a different color morph (the Japanese name seems to be used for a whole group of corals, rather than just one species).

Thanks again. :)

A

Anonymous

BTW, the Candy Cane was a freebie that I wasn't sure about when I got and will probably give away. I like looking at it close up, but don't like the way it affects the overall look of the tank.

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":7eecxy7f said:
Another thing that is kind of annoying/amusing is the number of times I see Japanese deepwater zoas or Japanese XXXX coral etc talked about in the US. According to a friend of mine, the Japanese deepwater zoas come from Vietnam. They're just recently starting to appear here. :lol:

It's a marketing thing here. A deliberately deceitful marketing thing, as of course the legal issues of getting any corals from japan range from totally impossible to just a royal headache (soft corals, but if they have even one grain of sand attached to them they're in violation). Funny enough US Fish & Wildlife has noticed the widespread appearance of corals on the market here labelled as being Japanese and they know the permits for the numbers appearing simply don't exist and are investigating. Either the corals aren't from Japan and are being deliberately mislabelled to drive up their prices or they're illegal contraband. Either way not something a reef hobbyist here should support.

The pink softie is really looking great.

It is. Coloring up really nice too, definitely looking more vibrant in your newest shot. Once it grows in a bit and fills out the spot it's at I bet it ends up becoming a real centerpiece.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":33meh3hh said:
It's a marketing thing here. A deliberately deceitful marketing thing, as of course the legal issues of getting any corals from japan range from totally impossible to just a royal headache (soft corals, but if they have even one grain of sand attached to them they're in violation). Funny enough US Fish & Wildlife has noticed the widespread appearance of corals on the market here labelled as being Japanese and they know the permits for the numbers appearing simply don't exist and are investigating. Either the corals aren't from Japan and are being deliberately mislabelled to drive up their prices or they're illegal contraband. Either way not something a reef hobbyist here should support.

My guess is the latter, otherwise I would have seen more of them here!

It is. Coloring up really nice too, definitely looking more vibrant in your newest shot. Once it grows in a bit and fills out the spot it's at I bet it ends up becoming a real centerpiece.

I'm hoping so! According to the donor, it grows like a weed in her tank and it already looks to be showing signs of growing in mine. I hadn't really noticed it coloring up, but now you mention it, I think you're right. It was under really powerful LEDs in her tank, so maybe a bit washed out.

A

Anonymous

Latest purchase. As you can see, rather less dramatic under my lights, but I still like 'em. I might try and get some shots under actinics later (and want to get bluer bulbs when I replace the current lot, also playing with the idea of a blue LED spot like the LEDIO).

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010071.jpg[/rimg]

Rather oddly, they seem to have come on a chunk of basalt, which is obviously not much good in terms of biological filtration (though with a piece this size, that's not so important I guess), but would also not be the ideal base for corals to fix to I'd imagine. I plan to frag the polyps hanging free for a friend of mine anyway, but is there an argument for moving the rest onto a normal piece of live rock as well?

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010068.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":2cby5rjc said:
Actually no, I moved it to a different position in the tank and have since discovered that it's now being irritated by the slime from a worm of some sort which is ensconced next to it. I'm going to try and remove the worm this weekend.

Actually managed to do this over the weekend, along with breaking apart the rock my Lobo was on to remove what I assume was a predatory worm. It had been deteriorating seriously and I saw what I thought was a worm nibbling at it, so decided to get radical with a pair of snippers, taking the base apart. Hopefully that will arrest the decline, though of course it could have been declining anyway and the worm had just decided to pick at the decaying flesh...

A

Anonymous

Latest hitchhiker, which I assume originally came in when very, very small. It's still wee, but as it'll likely grow bigger, would it be advisable to catch it and put it in the fuge?

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010078.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

At that size it's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a pencil urchin. Which should definitely be banished to the sump, they'll eat corals.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Charles. I've done just that actually, as a precaution, given that I wasn't sure whether I'd find him again so easily.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":1xbmlj1k said:
At that size it's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a pencil urchin. Which should definitely be banished to the sump, they'll eat corals.

+1...good job catching him Tom :D

A

Anonymous

Thanks! Though it was yet again down to my wife's eagle eyes, rather than mine (I just happened to be moving the rock with that frag of zoas on and she spotted it attached to the bottom). Pity really, as it's an interesting critter. I might have to get a decent sized piece of LR for the fuge for it to graze on. :)

A

Anonymous

Hmm. Appearing blank in the preview again, with all the text wiped from the reply box. Very odd.

A

Anonymous

Latest purchases. I'm getting a bit tired of the fact that the shots on the vendor's websites are always so far from true color. The first colony looked like it was blue and yellow, as far as it was possible to tell under a heavy actinic glow. It's green and purple, kind of. I like it anyway, but it's a little frustrating. The second is just as dramatic a difference. What was bright, bright orange under the shop's actinics is actually a bizarre shade of salmon pink in person. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like under my actinics to see if they look anything like the shop's pictures! :lol: :x

On top of that, the first colony came in without any base and with one piece hanging on by only a small thread of tissue. The polyps on this piece were half to two-thirds brown and mushy and smelling bad (so were a few on the larger piece). I don't whether it was sent like that or, as I suspect, the heat packs in the box were not wrapped well enough and it started to cook the zoas. Well, I did a quick piece of repair work, separating the smaller piece from the main colony and saving two frags of about 3 and 9 polyps respectively. I also removed the few brown, mushy polyps from the larger colony before mounting it on a large piece of the rock I took apart last week and the two small frags to two smaller pieces of rock. All are now looking more or less OK, so I hope there aren't any lasting effects.

With no further ado, here are the purchases. First the green/purple.

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010073.jpg[/rimg]

Then the salmon pink. Actually quite pretty, though kind of bizarre that it's in no way orange. :lol:

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010083_1.jpg[/rimg]

There is a very faint green tinge to the band around the mouth. Not sure how easy it is to see in these photos.

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010079.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

OK, it's a problem with the rimg tag. Post first with the simple img tag and it works, editing afterwards to rimg and it stays fine. If you start with rimg, nothing shows at all. :?

A

Anonymous

This is what the pinks looked like on the vendor's website (different colony but same type which is still not yet sold). This one actually has "orange" written underneath it. :roll:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 324
A

Anonymous

I know. I didn't know whether to laugh when I saw it. But actually, bizarrely, it's actually quite a bit more orange under actinics. I've just managed to get a shot of each new colony now that the actinics are on and now at least I can sort of understand the shop's picture. It was even more noticeable looking down on the colony from above, where it looked distinctly orange. Weird. Now I just need to get a slightly bluer bulb and maybe some high powered blue LED bulb and I too can open a reef store over here. :lol: :roll:

Anyway, here are the two actinic shots. Apologies for any lack of sharpness.

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010091.jpg[/rimg]

[rimg]http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/TheEscapedApe/Long%20awaited/P1010092.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

Heh. Looking at the photo I loaded I thought "you know what, that doesn't look at all orange", so much so that I went and looked at the coral again. For some reason, the camera's not picking it up, but it is a bit more orange in person.

Still, I like it. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: