A

Anonymous

Well here is the tank and my work in progress system design. Please feel free to comment. I do not have enough space between the corner of our living room and a window to make a symmetric stand work. Got a bit of layout work left to do on the system.

image-M.jpg

system-M.jpg

A

Anonymous

I really wish I could go bigger- I mean I still have that 165 gallon tank in the garage, and it WOULD fit at the far end of my den, if I took down or moved a bookcase, but I'd also have to eith pull the floor and build some re-enforcements for the floor joists, or crawl through a tight crawlspace to do it...maybe later on down the line...Bernie wants me to remodel the bathroom first.

A

Anonymous

Here is the current state of the tank. It will be on hold for a few weeks until I repair the upstairs shower and associated damage to the downstairs ceiling. This build has had more delays than I care to discuss.

[rimg]https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-BQN2Z7R/0/L/image-L.jpg[/rimg]

[rimg]https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-hrgJN53/0/L/image-L.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

I swapped tanks this weekend. Here is a night shot from last night.
image-L.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks Randy. Once the cloudiness goes away and my corals settle in I will get some better pics.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Dan

Here is the tank 6 weeks post move. It is all but complete. I have a shelf left to install behind the tank. Waiting on roll in t-nuts for the aluminum shapes. It will hold the transformers and controllers plus two independently switched outlet power strips. My lid should arrive in a few day.

[rimg]https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-m9ZrmM9/0/L/image-L.jpg[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

Louey":25cj18xp said:
Nice. Room for coral growth.

That was the plan. I added 1 sps, 1 clam and 2 zoas from what I had in the 60/20 system, but removed 3 M caps, 1 chalice, 1 M digi and 1 millie and lost 1 SPS. I prefer the look of a tank with fewer bigger colonies than a tank packed with a bunch of nubs. I would have removed more, but my wife asked me to keep some of the pieces I wanted to remove. No more SPS will be added, and probably nothing else either. I might replace my favia with something that does not encrust since I used it for bottom cover. Once it recovers from the unfortunate spatula encounter I am selling it to a guy in Metairie. It needs more fish. I have three on request with the LFS and they will be the last of the big fish in the tank.

A

Anonymous

What fish did you end up deciding on? I like dragonets and some more sensitive angels and butterflies, so am waiting a while for my tank to mature. The dead rock is still fairly dead.

A

Anonymous

Flabello Meandroid":2ihgjjuc said:
What fish did you end up deciding on? I like dragonets and some more sensitive angels and butterflies, so am waiting a while for my tank to mature. The dead rock is still fairly dead.

I moved over the fish I had in the other system which were

2 - yellow tang
1 - kole tang
2- ocellaris clowns
1 - mandarin dragonet
1 - coral beauty

So far I have added a desjardini tang. I want a pair of swallow tail angles and a small group of something (chromis, anthais, etc). My funds have dried up so going to have to wait on other fish for a little bit.

A

Anonymous

How is the coral beauty as for as nipping is concerned? I had one years ago and it was a nipper.

A

Anonymous

Louey":37qk29tb said:
How is the coral beauty as for as nipping is concerned? I had one years ago and it was a nipper.

This one is well behaved as far as I can tell. There have been no signs of nipping.

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":1h2b7sec said:
Louey":1h2b7sec said:

This one is well behaved as far as I can tell. There have been no signs of nipping.

That temps me to try one again. They are gorgeous!

A

Anonymous

Louey":2jz1bsq4 said:
Wazzel":2jz1bsq4 said:
Louey":2jz1bsq4 said:

I have never had a problem with coral beauties or flames. Rusties on the other hand are bastards.

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":37hjgsvy said:
Louey":37hjgsvy said:
Wazzel":37hjgsvy said:
Louey":37hjgsvy said:

I have never had a problem with coral beauties or flames. Rusties on the other hand are bastards.

I had a flame that nipped on everything 24/7. Took me a month to catch him with a trap. Left me leary of Angels in general.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: